Home Forum Ask A Member 1952 Fleetwin 4447

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    wedgie
    Participant

Bought a real nice original a few years ago, and never really got it running properly.

Cleaned out the tank and carb, and the carb looks good.When I pull it over in "start in neutral" position, it takes a few pulls with the choke on, and it will run rough ’till it clears out, then the rpm will climb quickly so that I am forced to push the lever towards slow where it will lean sneeze and die.

I’m not too familiar with the Tillotson md 34b carb except for what I have read in the Evinrude SV.Rev.54 pdf in Garry Spencers drop box. I realize the low speed needle is ‘backward’ to the typical omc carb in that the low speed is an air adjustment rather than fuel.

I will track down a carb kit, but I hate throwing parts at something unless I know for sure it needs it.

On the low speed needle, can anyone confirm the initial settings out from seated (all the way counter clockwise 😕 ) ? I’ll try to get a video.

Here’s a vid. Thanks for any help 😛
      http://vid635.photobucket.com/albums/uu … psolzo.mp4

wedgie
      Participant

Leaky bottom seal perhaps?

chris-p
        Participant

I think that it is running out of fuel. Will priming it again when it revs bring it back down?

Maybe float not floating, partially clogged passage somewhere, dirty filter/petcock, clogged vent, etc…

I would probably go over the fuel system and carb. Just my 2 cents.

wedgie
          Participant

It’s an on board gravity fed tank on this one.

When cleaning the carb in the ultrasonic, I dropped the brass float in some gas and it didn’t sink,so I think it is good. when checking the float height by flipping the bowl upside down, the front edge hung slightly lower ( about 1/32 inch) than the hinged side. IE it was not parallel to the rim of the bowl. Wonder if it should be squared up a bit or if this is normal or does it matter much?

I cleaned the tank and sintered filter, blew out the petcock and fuel line and so I just assumed it should flow. I will double check though as we all know about ASSumptions eh !When I cleaned the carb I did not remove the welch plug, as I don’t have a replacement on hand.

Speaking of welch plugs. After i took the carb out of the ultrasonic Pine Sol water mix,I blew it out with compressed air and noticed bubbles emanating from the welch plug, so I sealed that up with nail polish.

I also left the inlet seat in as I don’t have a replacement on had . That and the fact I started to strip out the slot in the brass seat ,for want of the right sized screwdriver. The needle looked OK, at least to my failing peepers.

oltimer
            Participant

Hi Wedg
              Havn’t been on for a long time due to a passing in the family. I have 3 of these engines, and all of them leaked from the head gasket and base gasket. The impellers are expensive, and the bottom end needs careful attention in making sure the spring is not rusted out or broken. I do have spare parts for this engine down to the bottom end if your in a jam. These 7.5’s are very fast when set up properly

wedgie
              Participant

Hi Oltimer.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Good to see you back on the board !

The compression is just over 70psi on both, which I think is a little on the low side but acceptable, so I think the head gasket is ok. As for the base gasket, I guess I would have to pull the powerhead to inspect, in which case it would need to be replaced anyway so I wont go there until I have eliminated every thing else.

When it is running it pumps lots of water, and because of that I have never gone into the lower. This nice original was run in fresh water before I got it so I am hesitant to take it to my local salty pond the Pacific . I guess they are fast due to the smallish gearcase. ❓

This Fleetwin hasn’t been touched much and most of the fasteners still with the original paint, and I was hoping to keep it that way.

Thanks for the offer of parts. If the carb is the culprit I may hit you up for a few bits and pieces, but I’m hoping a kit will do it. Just have to track one down either at Laings or from Dan Gano or…..?.

wedgie
                Participant

Chris, I’m an ASS ! Just goes to show I shouldn’t assume it’s clean without confirming it. 😳

You were right. The filter is plugged even though it looks shiny clean. After soaking and blowing out with compressed air it seemed like it should be clean but I guess not clean enough .If I cant get it clean with the PineSol I will try lacquer thinner.
                  When I hooked up a remote tank suspended above the motor it started right up and stayed running smoothly. I still have to fine tune.

The new problem is now the starter is rattling like it is catching on the ratchet . It wasn’t doing that before, so I think I lost a shim or two somehow. Will have to look around on the floor for it . I didn’t see any when I took it off, but that doesn’t mean anything. 😎

Thanks for the help 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.