Home Forum Ask A Member 1952 Johnson Seahorse qd 13

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    grunt311
    Participant

Hello
      I am new to the vintage outboard motor scene but have fallen in love with it fast. I purchased the following about three months back

1959 Freeland 14′ Aluminum boat
      1958 Johnson jw 14
      1952 Johnson QD 13

I do have a few questions though

Is there a rebuild kit for the carb on the QD 13?

When i start the motor it will run at a high idle but when i accelerate it seems to choke out and stop running. Easy to start back up but again run into the same issue. I have adjust the slow speed screw to about 3/4 of a turn out. This setting gives the smoothest running condition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as stated above i am new to this.

Thank you, Nick

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Not really intimate with the early QDs but in Mercury land, acceleration bog is often caused by a too-lean low speed adjustment. You can adjust them for smoothest idle and they will bog/die out. Making the low speed adjustment seemingly a little over-rich will cure a Merc, often. That being said, if you have not been into your carb yet, as well as the linkage adjustments, you should probably start there, for sure.

Long live American manufacturing!

frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

No carb kit for that motor. Never was one. You have to order individual parts. Have you tried adjusting the high speed needle? Fuel filter clean?

labrador-guy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Welcome Nick! Those early QD have a strange carb that is cast with the reed plate. Getting the float bowl off is about all you can do without a major tear down. When you get the float bowl off look for a cork donut washer between the carb body and the float bowl. They get hard and disintegrate. That seal is very important in making that baby run properly. They are easy to make with some cork gasket, a paper hole cutter and some scissors. Getting the primer pump back in when you reassemble is sometimes a challenge but one thing at a time!

dale

fisherman6
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Nick,
              I also have a QD 13 I’m hoping to get to this winter. I purchased mine at Tomahawk last August. We may be able to learn from each other on these. I’m quite familiar with the mid to late 50s QDs but I have not gotten into an early one yet. If you run into something that I am able to check or help with, I’ll do my best to help out. Welcome!

Dale, that’s good info about the carb. I’m already learning from you on this one and I haven’t even started working on this one yet. 😉
              -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

grunt311
              Participant

Wow, Awesome info guys i appreciate it. I will get into the carb tomorrow and see what i find but thanks (Dale)for the tip on the gasket i will pay close attention to that as well. Where do i find the cork material is that something i can purchase at an auto parts store or a craft store?

Ben looking forward to sharing notes for sure. This beast will be my primary drive on my fishing boat and i have a 3hp Johnson i will troll with. Cant wait for the weather to break to go out there and give them a run.

Stay Tuned (no pun intended there of course) i will let you guys know what i find.

Thanks Nick

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

A revolutionary outboard. They combined the 1934 Evinrude Sportsman’s read valves, the pressurized fuel tank of the 1940 Johnson SD-10, and Evinrude’s 1937 gearshift patents and "hooded power" concept to change how Johnson motors were built. It was the start what we Antique Outboard Motor Club members call "Classic Outboards". That problematic cork filter bowl gasket was later replaced by one of neoprene rubber. . . 🙂

Many say two its better than one. . . 😆

labrador-guy
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Nick if you are gonna tinker with these these old motors, gasket making is something you might like to learn. NAPA has a gasket assortments with several different thickness’s and materials. A set of leather punches from harbor freight will come in handy. I have a small set of curved scissors that work good. Just take your time, punch the holes first then cut the outline of the part. You can make most gaskets except a head gasket.

dale

fisherman6
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a ’63 Sea King 5hp I’m doing a water pump and gear case reseal on today then I’ll see about getting into my QD13 so we can compare notes. Mine seems to have good compression and it shifts, but that’s about all I know about it so far. I’ll try to get pictures as I go. I have heard the carbs on these are a bit cantankerous. We shall see.
                      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

gjonz
                      Participant

You might check out my blog. Few years ago I did an early QD. Might help. dunno.

https://conductorjonz.wordpress.com/2011/12/12/beyond-the-sea-horse-outboard-motor-restoration-step-by-step-day-one/

Greg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 65 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.