Home Forum Ask A Member 1952 Johnson Seahorse qd 13

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    grunt311
    Participant

Thank you this is awesome i have learned more about this motor in two days that i could have figured out on my own in three years. Again thank you guys for all the info.

Yesterday i fired the beast up and she ran fairly well. At start up it idles fine once the low speed needle is adjust and accelerates well also. Once i am at full throttle it is a little rough so i begin to adjust the high speed needle. I start at one full turn out from the seated position and go from there. Leaning it out does not help so i begin to turn it out to make it richer. The motor begins to smooth out and then seems to over rev and stall. Right about the point when it become smooth the RPM’s rise quickly to the point where it is really screaming then shuts down. Any ideas what might be going on here?
      Thank you Nick.

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Nick,
        Good to hear you got it fired up. I’m still finishing up the Sea King 5. When you say it runs rough at high speed, is it popping or just running slower than it should, smoking a lot, and and sounding like it’s only firing about half the time or running on one cylinder? By the description it sounds like it’s running rich and you are leaning it out until it takes off, then it’s starving for fuel, but… I realize you say you had to richen it to make it run right, then it screams and stalls. Also, do you know your tank is working properly. It could be that it’s running out of fuel and, speeding up due to lean condition, then running out of fuel and stalling? Just a couple thoughts.
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

gjonz
        Participant

Double check the float height. It should be level with the bowl. If not it can’t feed enough fuel to allow high speed running. That float controls the needle valve feeding fuel to the carb. If it’s off a bit…no adjusting the valves will help.

Also check the high speed and low speed needles to seed if they are worn or grooved. If so they need replaced.

Finally…these motors are touchy when adjusting the valves due to the carb configuration. So small increments and allow the motor to "adapt" after adjusting for 15 seconds or so.

Greg

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

What kind of a boat are you running it on to adjust the high speed mix. Do not run it over 4,500RPM. Do not attempt to adjust the high speed in nutral. Correct adjustment can only be achieved after the motor is warmed up on a boat. Early breaker points were designed to "Float" at 5000 RPM to protect the motor. Serra Marine advertised a stronger spring to eliminate high speed miss. Evinrude issued a bulletin that motors failing with non OMC breaker points would not be covered by there warrantee. Later OMC points had slightly stronger springs. . . 😉

fisherman6
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That’s a very good point Garry. The ‘screaming’ had me wondering the same thing. That’s an interesting bit about the points being a built-in Rev limiter too. I was not aware they did that.

I got the Sea King wrapped up and just put the old QD on the stand. Dig this paint job, will ya.

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

grunt311
              Participant

Check this guy out

Attachments:

grunt311
                Participant

This one may be a little easier on the neck

Attachments:

fisherman6
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That looks like a pretty nice one you have there. I’m hoping mine will be a runner with a magneto rebuild, a good carb cleaning, and a lower unit service. At least it’s complete and it was pretty cheap. It looks like I’m getting some leakage out of the top crankshaft seal. Quite a bit of oil under the flywheel.
                    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Buccaneer
                    Participant

US Member

I wonder if the sintered fuel filter needs cleaning?

Prepare to be boarded!

gjonz
                      Participant

Good thought.

Greg

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 65 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.