Home Forum Ask A Member 1952 Johnson Seahorse qd 13

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    grunt311
    Participant

Ben
      Keep me posted on the motor. I love the style of the "52" cool lines and the color is just a classic. I’m in Ohio so it will be some time before i can get her in the water. Always seems to be the way i get into these cool at the beginning of the winter and have to wait until i can get them out and toy around. I need to get into the lower unit and replace the impeller and inspect everything in there but so far it seems to be a pretty sound motor.
      Keep me posted
      Nick

labrador-guy
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Nick, I thought I would show you my early QD Johnson’s. I have a ’51 and a ’53. Good runners, only problem with them is that they are noisy. The 51 is a rattle can restoration, the 53 is original. The 53 has an excellent decal on the starboard side, port side not so good. I had the 53 at Constintine AOMCI event, on the water, last summer. She purred like kitten! Stop by there this summer if you can. Usually on the second weekend of July. In southern Michigan.

dale

labrador-guy
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Try again!

grunt311
          Participant

Dale
            I don’t see them now I am curious

labrador-guy
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Having trouble posting pictures. I have informed the webmaster. Hope we can get it straightened out. When I hit submit the darn thing tells me I am not logged in! Weird

fisherman6
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here are a couple pics of mine after I got the covers off. It doesn’t look too bad under there. A bit dirty, but it appears to have lived a fairly interesting life. Lots loft levers, rods, and linkages on that carb. Going to need to take plenty of pics as I go on the carb. The rest looks very familiar.

The mag plate

I should get back into it late this week or over the weekend.
                -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Looks like someone before me didn’t do the best job of routing the plug wires.

Also, they used automotive resistance core wires instead of proper copper core hi-tension leads. I’ll be replacing these with proper wires and new boots.

Here is the oil slung under the flywheel apparently leaking around the top of the crankshaft.

Not sure how long it took to get this way.

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

grunt311
                  Participant

Looks familiar. No worries on the carb it is far more complicated than it looks. Tore mine apart slowly but surely and laid it all out on the work bench in order with the way it was disassembled and had no problems. Took apart the entire lower unit and cleaned it all up yesterday. Surprisingly it was all in very good shape. For $75.00 the old beast was quit the bargain.

Gaskets???? It seems most gaskets for this motor are nonexistent. I have no problem making my own just curious what material are they cut out of? I see some posted which discuss cork and others are neoprene. What material do you use?

Thanks Nick

fisherman6
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have the magneto rebuilt other than the spark plug terminals and boots. I have the carb halfway apart, reattached the float pivot to the float. Part of me says I should make a new float, but I’m gong to try the original first. I am going to need to make a few new gaskets, but the float bowl gasket is still soft and should be OK.

The compression isn’t great on this motor but it is even and the cylinders are pretty dry. There is no apparent damage or scoring on the pistons, at least not visible thru the bypass ports. The body of the carb still needs to be cleaned and the o ring for the low speed needle seems pretty loose. Once I finish the carb I’ll check spark and try starting it. The gearcase and water pump are next once it looks like it will run.
                      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

fisherman6
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Labrador Guy sent me the pic he’s been trying to post. So I’m posting it for him. Here it is Dale. 🙂
                        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 65 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.