Home Forum Ask A Member 1953/54 Evinrude Fastwin and Super Fastwin.. What the difference?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    PugetSoundBoater
    Participant

I now have two model 15012 . The motor i got from the nice young man in Seattle yesterday has Model 15012-20019. The owners dad repainted the cowling right over the decals, but he did a good job 🙂
      The one i had already says Super Fastwin ,but still a 15012. I don’t have the serial # off that other motor with me right now,
      Is there a serial # list out there that shows the breakdown of serial #’s to what year they actually are?
      What’s the difference between a Fastwin and a Super Fastwin?
      Both of these require removing the powerhead to do the water pump? What a pain just to work on the WP!
      Thanks, JimPSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
      Robbie Robertson

• This topic was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by PugetSoundBoater. Reason: Clarification
      frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

According to the Old Outboard Book, serial # up to 19000 was a ’53, and 19000-up was a ’54.

It is NOT necessary to remove the powerhead to service the water pump on either motor!!!!

EDIT: I thought they were “Super Fastwins” both years. No??

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by frankr.
        frankr
        Participant

Remove the #81 plate to disconnect the shift rod

Pg-8-Exhaust-Housing-and-Brackets

Pg-8-Exhaust-Housing-and-Brackets

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by frankr.
          wbeaton
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Both are Super Fastwins. There is no difference other than decals between the 1953 and 1954. Only the 5-5.5-7.5 series of OMC’s required the removal of the powerhead to service the lower unit.

Wayne
            Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

PugetSoundBoater
            Participant

The cowling has been repainted over the decals, hard to read the decal through the paint. I will have to look closely to see if it says Super Fastwin or Fastwin, Doesn’t matter as it is just a New and Improved name.Thanks for the info.

FrankR – thanks for the serial # breakdown. I was confused on which size HP requires powerhead removal for the WP. Thanks for clarifying the hp size/WP removal process for me.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
              Robbie Robertson

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by PugetSoundBoater. Reason: details
              labrador-guy
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The ’53/54 were super fasttwins. The 55/56 were just fastwins but they got the new and better lower unit. The 57/58 got bored out a little. Picked up two more ponies. Super fastwin is one of my favorite motors! It will keep up with some 18hp OMC’s.

dale

squierka39
                Participant

Before the Super Fastwin it was a gale built powerhead rated at 14 not so super HP, when they came out with the new improved and much faster 15 hp they added “Super” to the name.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by squierka39.
                  billw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

So, I have reason to revive this thread, because of the parts diagram involved. In order to take this type of mid-section apart, to clean out corrosion in the swivel bushing areas, can parts 47 and and 51 be pushed up from the bottom, as one unit, then disassembled for there? We have screws 41 and 43 out already.

Long live American manufacturing!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by billw.
                    frankr
                    Participant

Yes.

OR 47 first, then 51

billw
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Frank. I may have to use a hydraulic press to get the thing out. It barely turns and certainly doesn’t just lift out, as it stands now. This particular motor belongs to the guy who owns the company I work for; so if I break it, it’s not going to look good on a resume. ha ha.

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.