Home Forum Ask A Member 1953 Gale (Sea King) 5hp

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tom Stack
    Participant

Started pulling apart my1953 Sea King 5hp today. No spark. Looked through opening in flywheel and can see the coils are toast.

Does anybody know the part number for the coils and where I can get new coils?

Anyone have a parts diagram for this outboard and willing to share?

Thanks much

Steve Martin
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

The coils are 580118. They have been superceded by 582995. They are available from the usual parts vendors. I’ll try to find a link to the parts list. Your motor is a Gale 5D10.

Steve Martin
        Participant

It’s the same as the Viking 5D10V

http://www.richardlpaquette.ca/vikingmanuals.htm

lindy46
          Participant

My 1951 took the same coils as all Johnnyrudes from the 50’s and 60’s.

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

That is a standard magneto used by OMC(makers of Evinrude, Johnson and Gale Products) from 1951 through 1991. The coil cracking is a known problem. Coils are available. The most common one is made in china and has problems with the fit of the coil core laminations. the fix has been to remove the coils and install them on your old laminations. Your Sea King is a Gale product, probably a 35GG9015A which is Gales model 5D10. Since you are a member you can look it up on the Gale products parts list I have posted on my Dropbox account listed on our Technical Discussion page in the members only section . . .

Tom Stack
              Participant

Thanks for the help and info.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.