Home Forum Ask A Member 1953 Johnson 25HP

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    sydinnj
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here is a picture of my 53 25 hp Johnson on my 1951 15′ Oldtown

Attachments:

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yup, I’m pretty sure I need one of these. I have been keeping my eyes open for good deal a nice one. One will find me at some point.
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

stanley
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Dear Enablers, After all the glowing comments I had to buy it.Good news:nothing broken or missing,came with good gas can and original remotes as well as good tiller,cost $125.00.Now the bad news.It’s siezed. 🙁 It had been sitting in an outbuilding a long time.Time to start reading through all the old posts on freeing stuck engines.Yours Truly,Stanley

chris-p
          Participant

If its just stuck rings, you are laughing.

You will get a wide variety of responses on what to use from vinegar to Deep Creepto ATF/Acetone mixture to "insert concoction here"

fisherman6
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If you get the rewind off, try to rotate the flywheel back and forth and see if you get just the slightest movement. If so, it’s likely to be just stuck rings. You should be able to free those up fairly easily with some Penetrating Witch’s Brew of your choice. 😉
              -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

olcah
              Participant

US Member

I would be sure that the sticking is not just in the lower unit so I would remove the lower unit. Have to anyway to put in the pump impeller. Good luck with this project!

Steve A W
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The most important tool for this job is Patience ❗ ❗
                  What ever you put in the cylinders to soak
                  let it set and soak a few days before you try it.
                  And most important, Don’t force it.
                  Good luck.

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
                  I live in Northwest Indiana

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

my really bad stuck 9.5 took a good 3 weeks to free up but proceed as per your gut feel,
                    1- took out the cyl head …
                    2- both cyl were half way…so I spread in some penetrating oil
                    3- waited few days and tried to rotate the flywheel ….. nothing moved 🙁
                    4- added more juice and repeated flywheel moves back and forth every few days for weeks
                    5- after a few weeks got the big fellow out and used a 1.5 inch x 12 inch round peg to alternately & gently smack the pistons..and added juice
                    6- after a few days the "marked" flywheel moved a few degrees 😀
                    7-continue with the big guy and alternately wacked the pistons each time seeing a few degrees rotation on the fw and adding juice
                    8- one day….happiness …total movement 😀 😀
                    9- reinstalled the cyl head…. compression was low 70’s

runs great next to my 75 ETEC

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I remember our neighbor at the beach, he had one, not sure if it was a 53 or 54 though, it had electric starting too. The man was very particular about his stuff, so the rig was in immaculate condition, even considering it was used in salt water. I remember watching him commission the rig ever year, but can honestly say I don’t remember seeing him use it! He would manually crank the engine to avoid wear on the starter motor. Bill Marvin was his name, I’m sure he has passed by now, but I hope someone preserved that boat…

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                        quote Stanley:

Dear Enablers, After all the glowing comments I had to buy it.Good news:nothing broken or missing,came with good gas can and original remotes as well as good tiller,cost $125.00.Now the bad news.It’s siezed. 🙁 It had been sitting in an outbuilding a long time.Time to start reading through all the old posts on freeing stuck engines.Yours Truly,Stanley

Sorry to hear it is stuck, but I’m betting you can free her up without too much more than a new head gasket, some penetrating oil, and the previously described patience! Be sure to pay attention to the great advice about the gearcase being stuck though, drain the gear lube to evaluate…You will want to pull that gearcase off anyway, to replace the impeller and clean/lube the driveshaft splines.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.