Home Forum Ask A Member 1953 Sea King 3hp

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jimk
    Participant

I picked up a little 3 hp Sea King that looks to be in pretty good shape. I now have it running and it pumps water but haven’t replaced the waterpump yet but will do so as soon as I can find one. It looks to me that the carb on it is meant to just prime and not have a choke but somewhere along the line someone has added a choke as it looks home made and there is just a wire threw the side of the cover to open and close it. My question is did it have a choke from the factory? Seems to start fine with just the prime and would like to remove it if it wasn’t meant to be there. The one on it I am sure is homemade maybe to replace a factory one as it looks crude. Is there anyplace to find a parts list-I am going to need a coil to because this one the covering on it is falling apart and I would like to replace it before I run it anyplace other than a barrel. Thanks, Jim

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Club member Brian Wilcox makes the impeller, properly called a “rotor”. email Baron0418@att.net. please note the b must be a capital.

No choke, primer only.

Takes the same coil as a bazillion small Evinrude/Johnson motors of the 1950’s / 1960’s

frankr
        Participant

Parts Catalog here (same motor as a Viking)
          http://www.richardlpaquette.ca/3D10V%20Parts%20Catalog.PDF

jimk
          Participant

Thank you! Just what I was looking for.

jimk
            Participant

One more thing, is it ok to run on a 16:1 mix?

frankr
              Participant

Yes

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.