Home Forum Ask A Member 1954 big twin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Tinman
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Hello every. I have a 1954 25 hp evinrude. it’s all there. Electric start. Brass prop. Actually in pretty decent shape overall. Need to check compression but roping it over is a tough go. May have to hook up the starter for that. Was thinking about making it a winter tune up project. Anything to look out for or is it pretty straight forward tune up procedure? Haven’t have much experience with anything larger than an 18 hp. Thanks.

2fast4me
      Participant

Take pictures before disassembly, you will need them. Keep your removed items bagged and tagged for proper reassembly. Some long bolts in the wrong location can cause cracks and broken components. I haven’t gotten into my powerhead yet so if you need pictures? Just ask. There is a lot going on with the throttle advance on that one. Jim

2Fast4Me

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

if you dont have this go to the url on top !!

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

Since it has the same magneto as the 18, you already know about checking the coils . . . You will find it much louder than he 18 as it does not have the rubber mounts and enclosed powerhead like the 18. The remote controls may have to be lubricated as the lithium (white) grease tends to dry out with age.

David Bartlett
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a 1954 Johnson 25. One of my favorite motors. With the plugs out it will pull over fine to check compression.

The cable operated throttle and spark advance is a bit different than the later engines, but works well. If you don’t already have one of Richard Whites timing tools, I really recommend you do. This motor will really start better and run nice when the ignition is spot on.

David Bartlett
              Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

Tinman
              Participant

I have one of his timing tools. I use it on 5.5-18 hp. Does it use the same tool or do I have to purchase another one? Thanks for all the replies everyone.

frankr
                Participant

Unfortunately, it takes a different timing tool.

RICHARD A. WHITE
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

That model uses the tool I have labeled #4 Timing Tool

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                    classicomctools@gmail.com

jeff-register
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If parts are around I would reseal the gears & impeller. Is that one a 6 volt system? Very nice motor!!
                      P,S,
                      Have the service manual if you need pages e mailed

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by jeff-register.
                      Tinman
                      Participant

Thanks Richard. #4. Got it. And yes it’s a 6 volt system. And jeff, yes I would like the service manual. Thank you.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.