Home Forum Ask A Member 1954 Evinrude 7.5hp increase power?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    greg-o
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

This will get you more speed out of a 7.5hp.

https://youtu.be/ZpbR1ODe6kY

bill-bate
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

A full shift fleetwin will move nicely but with a light load… I am 175# and the boat in the pic weighs about 150#.

bsedwebt
        Participant

I found a brass 3 blade Michigan Wheel prop for a 1960 5.5 Fisherman on ebay item number 291707185374 – looks to be the same but I have no idea – anybody?

bsedwebt
          Participant

What is "full shift" – I have F-N-R on my model 7516. I was able to get it on plane with just me in the boat when I slid all the way forward I could and still hold the tiller. I guess I need to move the fuel tank forward as well. I did notice that when the boat was on plane water was being pushed up the mid section and was pouring into the back of the boat like a water fountain. I assume this is because the motor is 17.5" and the center sponson is only 14" — this is a 9′ fiberglass power catamaran – 2014 model Livingston LV9 rated for 550lbs, 3 people, 8hp and weighs 160lbs empty. I am thinking I could make a sheet metal shield to stop the water from spewing over the transom when on plane but am really hoping the transom elevator will cure the problem.

wedgie
            Participant

What size boat are you running? It may sound counter intuitive, but a slightly bigger boat may plane easier because of bigger surface area.

bsedwebt
              Participant

The boat is 9 foot, 160 lbs empty, fiberglass, catamaran, 2014 Livingston LV9 — I had been researching this boat for quite a while and I just bought it 2 weeks ago – it is the perfect boat for my needs – I plan on keeping this for a looooong time – 2 people can lift it – it fits in the back of my 6.5′ pickup truck bed with the gate up and allows the motor, gear, tank, etc… to be transported under it and it is VERY well built. The motor was something I saw and just HAD to have it since it was soooo cool. I fell in love with the beauty of antique outboards several years ago at a event called "Field Day of the Past" in Richmond, VA. and at the Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame museum building full of several hundred (maybe over a thousand) antique motors sealed the deal for me to want one of my own.

wedgie
                Participant

If you get a chance, try it on a lightweight 12 foot aluminum . I am about 180 lbs and my 7.5’s will just get me on plane in my tinnie.Maybe I should try the 5.5 prop on the 7.5’s.

The 1954 Super Fastwin 15 horse will probably get your Livingston on plane.

Up until the mid eighties, outboards where measured for power at the powerhead. After the mid eighties it was measured at the prop. A "modern" 10 horse is roughly equivalent to an older 12 or even 15 horse, unless you are talking about older Mercury outboards that had under reported horsepower from the factory.

The Livingston looks like a real solid and stable fishing platform.

slim60
                  Participant

My 1955 Fleetwin is one of my favorite motors. When I was eight years old and eighty pounds it would plane the boat and more. Now at 210 lbs it just plows. But it is what it is. Don’t push it and use 16:1 mix. If you want to plane go wish a Sportwin.

dave-bernard
                    Participant

US Member

Or go this route 18hp. got it for free

Attachments:

crosbyman
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I understand the prop on the 5.5 is lower pitch….you will loose speed but it may push you up on plane

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 39 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.