Home Forum Ask A Member 1954 Evinrude 7.5hp increase power?

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    garry-in-michigan
    Participant

Lifetime Member

I believe that AM430 Michigan wheel ( 291707185374) would be good. Raising the motor should help keep down the water over the transom. If it runs faster than 4500 RPM the prop should be "Cupped". This is what they call curling the trailing edce on the blades. This has the effect of increasing the pitch. A good prop man could fix it. You must be careful to do an even curve and the exact same modification on all blades. I used a 1-⅞" trailer hitch ball and a raw hide hammer . . . 😀

A word of caution- That Michigan wheel being brass is heavier than the factory aluminum so it will exert more force on the mechanism when shifting. There is no synchromesh in the dog clutch used in outboards. It is eather in or out. There is 30 degrees of free play between the dogs. It is during this time that he dogs will snap in full contact. At a slow idle the is still measured in meliseconds. It is important the motor be running slow and that it is snapped quickly into gear. When the motor is stopped in neutral, there is a chance the dogs will line up so it is impossible to shift into gear. In this case just turn the propeller so the dogs line up with spaces.

ede
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

bsedwebt – I sent you a PM regarding a prop – ede

touch-of-grey
        Participant

Your boat is rated for 8 hp so a bigger motor might get you in trouble with the law or your insurance co. I say might because it depends on your local laws and what your insurance co. says. But a motor rated at 7.5 hp that actually puts out much more hp could keep you legit. Think KG4…Charlie

gordonb
          Participant

I have a new Propco D8 for sale. According to the Propco website it fits Evinrude and Johnson 5.5,6,9.5 and 10 from 1954-81. Size is 8 1/4 x 8 and is 3 blade.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years
              quote GordonB:

I have a new Propco D8 for sale. According to the Propco website it fits Evinrude and Johnson 5.5,6,9.5 and 10 from 1954-81. Size is 8 1/4 x 8 and is 3 blade.

This prop is meant for the 9.5 and 10hp, won’t fit on the 7.5hp and is too much pitch for it….

bsedwebt
              Participant

Looks like I need a Propco D4? 3 blade, aluminum, heavy load, 8" x 6.5 pitch per Propco website. It shows a hub code P2B. I have no idea what that means but the size, pitch, material, number of blades looks right. The Propco site does not list the 7.5 hp in the grouping for 1954-1981 but I assume the 5.5 or 6 would be the same shaft? Right? Wrong?

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, not quite…The 5.5/7.5 uses a different style of propeller and drive pin location than the 1958 and newer 9.5/10hp models. The 50s model 5.5/7.5s use a solid prop (no rubber hub) with a drive pin near the outer end of the prop shaft, there is a rubber cap that snaps in place over the drive and cotter pins….The early 6hp models used this same style prop…
                  The 1958 and newer 9.5/10hps (along with later model 6hps) used a propeller with a rubber hub and a drive pin located right near the prop shaft seal, the prop shaft is threaded on the outer end to receive and plastic threaded cap and cotter pin.
                  So, I would say that propco’s grouping of a single propeller style from 1954-1981 is a mistake.
                  And yes, the 5.5/7.5 models used the same style prop shaft/prop setup with different pitch props. The early 6hp models used this same setup, the later models used the same setup as found on the 1958 and newer 9.5-10hp models, just different pitch props.
                  I will look on the propco website, perhaps I can get a better idea of what is needed for your engine…

OK, I looked at the Propco website. I don’t understand how one hub can be made to fit the two different style setups, you should contact Propco, perhaps it is some of universal hub that can be made to fit both styles….

bsedwebt
                  Participant

I see the photo on the Propco site for the prop in question – the hub looks nothing like mine – I have a rubber cone that goes over a nub on the end of the shaft and covers the shear pin at the end of the prop. The brass Michigan Wheel prop looks to be the right stuff but may be playing with fire if it is too heavy and will break my lower unit.

bsedwebt
                    Participant

Great…. Now you got me wanting a KG4… Ughhh.

dave-bernard
                      Participant

US Member

I have a lead on a KG4 call me 914 310 7086.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 39 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.