Home Forum Ask A Member 1954 Evinrude 7.5hp increase power?

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    baron0418
    Participant

Bill is right,16-1 is a must. Or yeah,you will ventilate the crankcase!

tom-c
      Participant

How big is your boat?

bsedwebt
        Participant

9′ long, 4′ wide, 160lbs empty, 550lbs capacity rating, 8hp max, fiberglass catamaran with a center sponson about 14" deep. Will have 2 adults, fuel and gear etc… of about 440lbs and of course the motor weight of about 50lbs. See prior page showing a photo of it.

bsedwebt
          Participant

So I finally got around to getting another prop – got a used brass 3 blade. Will need a bit of cleaning up around the edges but in good shape overall. I took the original prop off and found what appears to be a decaying string wrapped around the prop shaft by the lower unit. I did not take it off yet fearing that this was supposed to be there for some reason. The only time I have seen string on a prop shaft was on a more modern motor that had caught some debris and wrapped it up and caused the seal to leak in the lower unit. This appears to be old decaying string that is wrapped around the shaft that could be some sort of spacer. I smelled and saw no leaks in the lower seal. My question is – is this supposed to be there or should I remove it?

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Old fish line from 1950’s vintage (before monofiliment)

chinewalker
              Participant

US Member

Yep, get it off there!

bsedwebt
                Participant

Thanks! I was wondering if that was some old way of creating a spacer or some sort of seal – it was nicely wound but the outermost part was coming loose. I noticed no ill performance when using the motor and hopefully no damage to the seals when I remove it.

shoestringmariner
                  Participant
                    quote Wedgie:

What size boat are you running? It may sound counter intuitive, but a slightly bigger boat may plane easier because of bigger surface area.

that is gorgeous

bsedwebt
                    Participant

That looks just like my motor – nicely restored. It is a beauty and so is mine. This little boat is not going anywhere – I searched long and hard for the 9′ Livingston LV9 and got a good deal on a slightly used 2014 model. I got it to plane and it screams with one person but 2 people it pushes through. I also have a 1996 Johnson 8hp 2 stroke that runs perfect and that really screams – low 20’s MPH with one person but it will not plane with 2 people – I ordered a 8 x 7 pitch prop for that motor to see what it will do instead of the 8.5 x 9

Attachments:

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.