Home Forum Ask A Member 1954 Fastwin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    cliffp
    Participant

Hi guys, I need to set up the dwell or linkage on a 1953 15 hp fastwin, when I turn the throttle the roller that rides on the "cam plate?"and is connected to the butterfly of the carb through linkage goes right off the end of that timing plate.

chris-p
      Participant

Cliff,

The carb should just start to open when the roller hits the hash line on the brass cam. If not, loosen the screw on the cam, and pull it out some. If it carb butterfly starts to open too early, push the cam in.

Re tighten bolt and you are done!

cliffp
        Participant

thanks, i’ll see if I can see that hash line!

cliffp
          Participant

hmmm, I see what you mean to adjust the "throw" of that plate but it looks like the plate itself can’t be moved. somethings way out on the linkage and im thinking its the gear mesh on the throttle handle?

cam right off the roller , full throttle,

throttle full off "start position, no where near the hash marks,

throttle full on

throttle full off, start position, all they way to the end of the gear mesh

somethings not right,,,,
            Cliff

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The gear mesh looks right. The plug wires don’t look properly clamped under the mag plate though

theodore
              Participant

Your first pic, "cam right off the roller, full throttle", is incorrect The roller being off the skinny part of the cam would be a "less than idle" position. At idle, you should be near the skinny end of the cam, at full speed, near the fat end of the cam. Never off the cam, bearing on the ignition wires. Once you get near the skinny end of the cam, the roller no longer makes contact. It "floats" in the air until you advance the throttle enough for the roller to make first contact at the hash mark. Something is definitely wrong between the roller rubber and the carb throttle shaft in that linkage. Fix this problem first.

Later,I might work backwards for a second- put the roller near the end of the fat end of the cam, and work backwards to see what’s needed to make the "twist grip" indicate "fast".

Maybe something wonky at the rear of the engine under the mag plate with the vertical throttle shaft, and the curved brass arm under the mag plate.

chris-p
                Participant

Looking at the motor, the bolt on the right (narrow end of cam) will have an oblong hole, so that it pivots in and out. Loosen that bolt, to adjust the cam.

Now, the gear mesh seems ok.

The hash marks you see in the pic are not the one I was referring to. Those are for setting the points. The hash mark will be on the brass cam itself. When that roller hits it, the carb butterfly should start to open.

chris-p
                  Participant

When you put it in forward gear, and advance throttle to FULL, is the roller sitting on the end of the fat side of the cam>?

wiscoboater
                    Participant

You need to be looking at the top side of the brass plate, not the side or bottom. Looking from the top and you will see a mark embossed into the brass plate. About 1/3 of the way from the skinny end. It’s like a slot indented into the plate.

theodore
                      Participant

Maybe some pics of the vertical throttle shaft top and the linkage there, and also a port side pic of the carburetor throttle shaft/link/arms.

With the roller bearing on the ignition wires, it seems like the carburetor throttle plate would be jammed wide open before you could get all the way up the ramp to the full throttle position near the fat end of the cam.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 24 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.