Home Forum Ask A Member 1954 Fastwin

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    cliffp
    Participant

Hi Chris,
      ok, I had it as* backwards! I think it might be fine, other than the roller going off the end of the cam in the stop position,

pulled the intake airhorn off to verify the butterfly. and right, in neutral throttle is limited, ok , seems good, thought it would run away for my upcoming first start , Cliff,

cliffp
      Participant

hey wiscoboater, ok, ill check the cam mark in a bit,,, and get some photos of the carb linkage Theodore,,,, better safe than sorry,

cliffp
        Participant

FULL THROTTLE IN FORWARD GEAR

SLOW THROTTLE HANDLE POSTION

STOP POSITION

theodore
          Participant

The carb throttle shaft shouldn’t start to move until the roller hits the hash on the brass cam. It still seems to me that the roller is bumping along the ignition wires, and bearing on all the cam, from the skinny end on up to the hash.

I’m not familiar with the ’54. On my ’57’s and ’58’s, the first time the roller touches the cam, and the throttle shaft starts to move, is at the hash.

As someone else said, the wires shouldn’t be hanging out there like that.

cliffp
            Participant

Hi Theodore, the throttle starts to open exactly on the hash mark. the wires are pinned with a screw and plug wire metal tab , just standard evinrude looking setup

chris-p
              Participant
                quote CliffP:

Hi Chris,
                ok, I had it as* backwards! I think it might be fine, other than the roller going off the end of the cam in the stop position,

pulled the intake airhorn off to verify the butterfly. and right, in neutral throttle is limited, ok , seems good, thought it would run away for my upcoming first start , Cliff,

Looks fine to me Cliff. As you found, the throttle is limited in neutral, that is why you need to shift to forward to get full opening of the butterfly.

Some motors have an adjustable idle stop, at the base of the tower, to prevent the roller from really coming off the cam. Your model does not. the wires there are normal, and the roller will come off the cam at the STOP position.

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, the throttle cam pick up adjustment won’t affect the position of the roller on this engine, the cam moves in and out to set the pick up.
                  Again, I don’t think those wires are properly routed/clamped into the mag plate, which is why the roller seems to be hitting the wires and perhaps opening the butterfly a bit when the throttle is all the way retarded/in the stop position.

cliffp
                  Participant

thanks for the help guys, well I fired it up , runs good , I knew the impeller was toast so don’t cringe to much when you see the water level and no water spray, was very short runs full cool down between and only fuel bowl amount of fuel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLOVKYhq4Mc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX6yqwgiY8c

Cliff,

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Sounds good, she will be all set with a new impeller.

chris-p
                      Participant

No problems there Cliff! Service the pump and get her on the lake.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.