Home Forum Ask A Member 1955 25 HP Johnson Loose Conn Rod Bushings

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    olcah
    Participant

US Member

Messing around with a very worn RD17S. (Even the crankshaft is bad as the internal splines for the driveshaft are worn out). I got compression readings of 94 (top) 89 (bottom). Anyway on opening the crankcase there is definite looseness between the bushings in the rod small ends and the piston pins. The top is loosest but can feel/see play between the bushings and piston pins both top and bottom.

Would a fix be to replace the bushings? Has anyone ever tried that? Or would there be wear in say the piston that would preclude that? I looked in the parts list and there is no individual number for the bushings?
      Thank you.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by olcah.
      garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

The next year they replaced the bronze bushings with needle bearings – and replaced 5,000 powerheads under warrantee when the first bearings used failed. In testing they ran 1000 hours at wide open throttle. It turned out that at an idle the needles rocking back and fourth would ware through the retaining edge of the shell and drop out into the crankcase after around 200 hours.That of course totally destroyed the powerhead. Replacement bearings were a much better quality. Powerhead were sent to the dealers to replace all first production motors. Ralph said that’s what Ole would do. Some owners missed being contacted. Some were pleasantly surprised when the bearing failed five years later and got a brand new powerhead under there one year warrantee.

If you do remove the wrist pins, be sure the piston is well supported and push on the loose end. (Yes, the pistons are marked “loose” on one side, it’s a tapered bore.) If you push on the tight side, the piston will go out of round,

olcah
        Participant

US Member

Garry,
          Thank you the info above.
          Do you know if one can replace these bushings without changing the pistons and pins? I have not seen a part number for the bushings.

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

The bushings were cast in, but can be drilled out and reemed to fit the ’56 needle bearings. I was sure I had a service bulletin on replacing those needle bearings, but have not been able to locate it. (next year I have GOT to get organized) The needle bearing part number was 377260 –

olcah
            Participant

US Member

Garry,
              I wondered what was done! Thanks so much.

billy-j
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If you want a whole replacement power head I have one. $75.00 plus shipping. Original green paint from a 1955 25 horse 17S. in Ohio. Bill.

billy-j
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

This is for Garry in Tampa. Do not wish to change direction of this conversation but I have a question regarding one of your replies. Earlier you stated in 1956 they went to needle bearing wrist pin bearings and they were not well designed and failed prematurely in the early 1956 engines. Was there an improved bearing used later in the production year of 1956 ? If so would there have been a 1956 serial number that after would denote an improved bearing design ? Thanks Bill,

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

Outboards 00001, 2 and 3 were run to death and torn down for analyses. Outboards 00004 through 05000 had the power heads replaced under warrantee. The suppliers specifications changed and the new bearings had the same part number abut were better quality. The only ’56 early serial number Big Twins that you would find with bad wrist pins today would be in an old dealers back room still in the sealed factory box. Any one who didn’t read there mail and ordered the bearings to fix a damaged motor under warrantee was sent a new powerhead.

billy-j
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Garry. Regards Bill,

dan-in-tn
                      Participant

US Member

Gary, I am now confused. I agree 100% that the ’56 wrist pin bearings were of poor design and caused problems, but I think they were around longer than that? I have found them in ’57 35hp Lark engines. See link:

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0304322

That is the original bearing for the wrist pin that it takes two per rod. Still available today. I did not find that the #377260 could be put in the older rod. Some may be heavy enough walled to be teamed, but most are too thin? The 1958 RDE-19 shows the newer style wrist pin bearing you mention. That is the bearing I prefer to use. I just put in the complete conn rod assembly. Just my preference.

I think Mumbles has made bronze bushings for the original conn rods, but I would rather have a wrist pin bearing, myself.

Dan in TN

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.