1955 7.5 Fleetwin . No water

Home Forum Ask A Member 1955 7.5 Fleetwin . No water

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)

• markleonard

Replies: 0
    Topics: 1

Hi Members
    I hope someone may be able to help. My 7.5 runs but doesn’t pump water. That is no water comes out of the shaft. She hasn’t been used for 30 years. I recently had her serviced and all is well except this problem. Obviously we only ran her for a short time.
    Is it a water pump? is that an engine off job? where would i get new gaskets and a pump if that was the problem. I live in West Cork, Ireland
    All the best Mark

Mark Leonard

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Well the water pump certainly is the first place to go. Yes the powerhead (engine) has to be removed in order to access the shift rod disconnect before the lower unit can be removed to get to the water pump.

I have no idea where one would find parts in Ireland. But hey, you do have boats and motors there, don’t you? Ask around some dealers/shops. Then there is always the internet (e-bay)

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

You say the engine was recently “serviced”, did that servicing include a water pump job? If so, they may have installed the wrong base gasket. The midsection/powerhead was changed in 1956, so you really have to be sure of the proper year for your engine….What is the model number? Perhaps you can post pictures…
    Nonetheless, the powerhead will have to come off. This job really is not very difficult provided the engine has been used in fresh water. The seven powerhead retaining screws could be more of a challenge to remove if the engine was used in salt water.
    In any event, perhaps marineengine.com will ship to Ireland.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3588
    Topics: 326

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVOedhzPP7M

it is not a complicated job but you may need to purchase a new base gasket

this pump service kit includes the base gasket

https://www.vintageoutboard.com/collections/johnson-evinrude-water-pumps-impellers-lower-units/products/18-3001b-impeller-kit-for-johnson-evinrude-5-5-hp-1954-55

confirm your mdl year because all base gaskets are not alike

visit vintageoutboard.com because posting the link here goes POOF !!! again πŸ™

Joining AOMCI has priviledges πŸ™‚

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by crosbyman.

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

Hi Mark. If the motor has been sitting for a long time, the water pump should be one of the first things to be serviced before running it. The OMC/BRP part number for the very common original impeller is 434424 (Sierra 18-3001) and is readily available. If you decide to replace the whole pump, the updated pump kit with housing is P/N 763758.

The correct base gasket for your motor is P/N 303467 and if you were to use a later ’56 – ’79 304314 or 313065 base gasket, the motor would have a massive water leak under the powerhead so the correct gasket must be used.

Once the gearcase is off, take a look up inside the exhaust housing where the copper water tube from the pump enters the exhaust housing. There is a rubber grommet up there, same as the one on the pump, and the aluminum around it can corrode away causing a cooling water leak. This is more of a problem for motors which have been operated in salt water.

Just a reminder, but your motor runs on 16:1 gas-oil mix. Not 24:1 and definitely not 50:1. Doing a Google search for the part numbers will help to locate parts, either locally or from China.

Here’s what the 763758 water pump kit looks like. It has a much smaller impeller than the original one but they work just fine.

CD-Water-Pump-Kit-763758

EDIT: I found a kit on Epay near you in the UK and it’s selling for about half of what I have to pay for one here in Canada. It’s an early P/N but the same kit. Here’s the link:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Johnson-Evinrude-Water-Pump-Repair-Kit-391391-0391391/192817668958?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908131621%26meid%3D03682cc61b1e4e62af81a4e488687d53%26pid%3D100678%26rk%3D15%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D283309295352%26itm%3D192817668958&_trksid=p2481888.c100678.m3607&_trkparms=pageci%3A59cbb213-31f9-11e9-b053-74dbd180cb71%7Cparentrq%3Af6c3f2fa1680ad4a94d7bf60ffec457a%7Ciid%3A1

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Mumbles.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Mumbles.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years

get the johnson red book on the boatinfo.no site
    click on top books
    go to johnson manuals
    select the red book

you will find all the info on your motor

the book CHEAP OUTBOARDS is also very inclusive to maintain your motor

if you do keep the old pump housing look very carefully and clean out 2 small holes one below the rubber grommet one on the housing roof

when removing the head carefull with loose parts on top of the drive shaft ..especially the delicate carbon seal

I would post the link but this site erases certain links for unknown reasons …for now πŸ™‚

johnson red book explains it all

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years

just posted another comment about clearing the 2 vents on the pump housing that reply went poof !!

seems any references to the Jonson red book site causes replies to be sent to never never land ???

very bad very bad ……….like the Man says

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

just posted another comment about clearing the 2 vents on the pump housing that reply went poof !!

seems any references to the Jonson red book site causes replies to be sent to never never land ???

very bad very bad ……….like the Man says

The site you are trying to copy the URL’s from might not allow it and that’s why your links don’t appear here when you try to post them.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years

I never had trouble posting any link and preventing from posting there link would seems counterproductive to increasing there readership imho

replies going POOF is not uncommon on this new web site and is under investigation by the web man unforetunately we are receiving little or no progress report on the what when why on current bugs

and… btw not only does the link URL go POOF ! but the whole reply goes POOF with it ??

anyhow….we all have feelings about the new site for ex: I may be dense a bit or not well versed on page coding but what is the purpose for all the gibberish on us being able to use HTML tags (that faint greenish page)

Quintin Kittle

Replies: 1
    Topics: 0

The pump kit #763758, that you referenced does not fit the 55 fleetwin 7.5. The impeller bushing bore is too large for the shaft. I suggest getting the original impeller p/n, and clean the cast housing up and reuse it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.