Home Forum Ask A Member 1955 Evinrude 15HP shifting problem

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member

All I can suggest is put all those parts back together and observe while moving rod up and down through the access cover as before. That 1/2″ slop has to be coming from somewhere. Yeah, straighten that rod, but I doubt that is the problem.

bob-d
      Participant

US Member

Frank, I put it back together, still not right. I’m getting neutral (sometimes) in forward , then it will shift F-N-R ok, then it stays in forward in neutral. Very frustrating.
        Tomorrow will take the gear case apart, maybe something in there?
        Thanks,
        Bob D

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

When you take the gear case apart, scrutinize the shift fork very carefully. Think, “How would I have shaped this, if I had designed it?” Sometimes they get bent a great deal, although the bend is so even and subtle on both sides that it looks like maybe it should be that way, on purpose. Judging by the abuse your upper shift shaft has taken, the fork could also be a casualty. I have been able to straighten them out; but they should be pretty readily available, too.

Long live American manufacturing!

Matthew Pieklik
          Participant

US Member

I would pay attention to that pivot pin on the clutch dog fork. It might have missed it’s seat if it is of that design. with the lower unit off and in a vise you should be able to spin the drive shaft and put the shift shaft thru its paces.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It just doesn’t seem like there is that much slop in the shift/rod/connector/bellcrank…. Does your gearcase have a shift fork pivot screw, or does it have the pivot shaft inside the skeg?
              I guess at this point, I would pull the gearcase off and try shifting it by just moving the shift rod up and down to see if it shifts properly that way….
              Again, you mentioned mixing parts from different years, I would investigate the part numbers of the items you interchanged to make sure they didn’t change between the two years. The only other thing I see is a potential problem in your top picture. The little hole in the bellcrank seems to be elongated a bit, which will add some slop where the pivot pin goes through…You seem to indicate there is no slop there though….While the powerhead is off, I would certainly update the bellcrank if the part numbers have changed…

frankr
              Participant

US Member

This just doesn’t look right to me. It looks like the larger diameter of the shift shaft is clear inside the case. In other words the larger diameter is clear out of the hole that is supposed to be supporting it. Wrong shift shaft?????? Are you sure the inner end isn’t able to slop up and down?

shift-shaft

bob-d
                Participant

US Member

OK I opened up the lower unit…………………please don’t kick me out of the club. I’m already hanging my head in shame.
                  Well I think I found the problem….
                  Had a shift cradle sitting around my workbench, no big thing I always have a ton of different parts sitting around. Well the big difference was that this one belonged inside of the 15HP that I just finished. I feel like such a dope. Sorry everyone for a wild goose chase. Although everyone brought up some very good points for shift lever diagnostics for the future. Amazing that the motor even shifted at all?
                  I was going to try and get out of it by telling everyone I was turning the motor into a racing, motor and just trying to lighten it up….but I knew that wouldn’t fly.
                  Ok let the ribbing begin….I can take it.
                  Bob D

IMG_3744

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

It is written; “There is nothing new under the sun”
                    Yep, I’ve seen that happen before. So don’t beat yourself up.

billw
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, you found the problem and I guarantee you’ll never do it again. AND all it cost you was some time. I’d call it a win, overall.

Long live American manufacturing!

bob-d
                      Participant

US Member

Your right Bill W, I will never let that happen again.
                        Well at least I didnt have any piston rings laying around when I finished!!!!
                        Bob D

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.