Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 30 hp johnson

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    billy-t
    Participant

Hi about to start tinkering with this motor, new to me, and I haven’t done much with anything over 18 hp before.

So here is my dumb question, does this model have a compression relief mechanism and if so how would it work. The old shoulder is a little sore and want to make it as easy as possible for starting.

Thanks fellows

BT

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Nope, not on the 30hp. That first appeared on the 1957 35hp

jeff-register
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Frank,
          Will another compression release bolt up to the 30hp without major surgery?

jeff-register
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Frank,
            Will another compression release bolt up to the 30hp without major surgery?

mas
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Convert to electric start?? I think the heads are very different.

Mas

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

The 25 had a six to one compression ratio, the 30 is seven to one. The thirty horse has needle bearings on the wrist pin like the 35. The 35 has a bigger bore and the heads are NOT interchangable.

chris-p
                Participant

The best option there would be to make it electric start I would think. Originally a 6 volt system, but can be made to run off a 12 volt battery.

jerry-ahrens
                  Participant

US Member

On mine, I found a flywheel with the ring gear and an electric starter. That’s about all you need to convert to electric start. I mounted a small solonoeid under the cowl, and then ran the battery cables right out the front of the motor. That along with a push button mounted on the front of the lower pan is all you need.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.