Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 Evinrude Big Twin

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Huskinson
    Participant

US Member

30hp. serial number 25925-07965. throttle will not move from start to ‘fast’ direction. only can move it to slow. This is even manually trying to move it so its not the cable.  why won’t it move in other direction. also, i am new to motor, put a 12V battery, new mix 34-1 and started it and it ran and then died. starts and dies. new plugs too. something i read said 6v. how would i know? i am lost.

new member Bruce

Issaquah WA

frankr
      Participant

US Member

What has been done to the motor so far? ALL 1956 and I mean all, Johnsons have bad coils unless they have already been replaced. That is one of the first go-tos to check in my book.

A lockout prevents advancing the throttle beyond a certain point in neutral. That slow/start/fast plate is rarely accurate. Focus on getting it running correctly first.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        frankr
        Participant

US Member

Er, I meant to say Evinrudes and Johnsons.

oldlure
          Participant

US Member

25925 is a 1956 Big Twin Electric long shaft motor. Originally 6 volt.

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

You probably know that your motor has to be in forward gear to get the throttle to move past start.  This is a safety thing so you can’t start it at max throttle in gear.

Also – as Oldlure mentioned, that is a 6 volt motor unless someone has changed it to 12 volts.  This is done by replacing the choke actuator and the starter solenoid.  The 6 volt starter motor  will work fine on 12 volts.   The starter solenoid is in the metal box that mounts in the boat.   Both parts will likely work for a while on 12 volts, but will go bad sooner or later.  The 12 volt starter solenoid you need is at the link below.  The choke actuator can come from a 1957-58 35 HP,  or a suitable resistor can be put in series with it.

Dave

https://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_search.php?part_num=18-5807

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

you need this book to understand and service your oldy…

https://watercraftmanuals.com/outboard/johnson/manuals/johnson-302231.htm

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Bruce Huskinson
                Participant

US Member

Thank you. i will look into the Solenoid issue. I am a complete rookie at these outboards. i inherited 4 50’s boats, one has a 49 Seahorse 10
                  , 1957 Merc Mark 55 40hp, 78 Johnson 28SPL and this 56 Evinrude. 4256812464

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.