Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 Evinrude Fastwin 15 Electric Starting wiring

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    fisherman6
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I bought a pretty nice-looking original ’56 Fastwin Electric Starting this past weekend. It needs a tune up, carb rebuild, gearcase reseal, and some degreasing, but it will no doubt be a nice runner. I have no background on this particular electric start motor, however. I was wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram for this motor. Also, is there anything in particular I need to know about this starting system. Does it require a separate solenoid box and start button? There is no wiring for a kill button so I’m assuming this motor was a "choke to stop" setup. All info and literature is appreciated. Thanks to all in advance.
      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

call me 1 914 310 7086.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

1956 Was a 6 Volt system. Do you plan to run it on 6V or 12V? The 6V system was similar to the 25hp. Here is the 15hp parts list and the 25hp wiring diagram. I don’t think the 15 had a mercury safety switch though. No need for anything fancy to stop it—just turn the throttle twist grip to slow/stop till it stalls.

photo hosting

screen capture tool

picture share

Mumbles
          Participant

Here’s the parts book for a ’56 Johnson Electric. It should be the same except for the hood.

fisherman6
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Dave, I’ll give you a call if I need some help when I really get to working on this motor. I have a couple in front of it on my list right now but I appreciate that.

Thanks Frank, I thought this was a 6 volt system. If I run it on 12, I won’t hook up the choke solenoid. I don’t really plan to use this motor as a remote control motor, but I ‘might’ set up the electric start so I don’t have to rope it over. Not that the 15s are hard to start when they are properly tuned. I do not see the mercury switch on this motor so I believe you are correct. I’ll have to see what I can come up with for the solenoid box and start button. If I ever decided to run this motor with remote control, I’d just use a 6V battery for the motor. I plan to leave it completely original.

Thanks for the PDF Mumbles! Much appreciated. Here’s a look at it right after I got it home.
              -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Mumbles
              Participant

Electric start is always nice and I have the same motor on my rack! 😀

Your motor has been used with remote controls so you might want to see if the friction spring and its conical washer are still inside the tiller grip. They were often removed for remote operation and then they got lost or forgotten about.

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the heads-up Mums. Right now the tiller grip is quite difficult to turn, so I have some other things to work out with it also. I will check to see if the parts are still there when I try to figure out why it is so hard to move. That would likely explain what is wrong with one or both of my ’67 Fastwins I have too.
                  -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Mumbles
                  Participant

The gears and shafts never get lubed so if you take the tiller all apart right back to the throttle shaft gear and clean them and grease them it will be like new again!

wiscoboater
                    Participant

Thats a fine looking motor Ben. I’ve converted a few of those and the 60’s 18hp motors to electric start. You can sneak a solenoid under that hood to make it a simple effective set up. Look at one of the small Mercury trim solenoids.
                      https://www.amazon.com/Solenoid-Mercrui … B00D5V961K

david-bartlett
                      Participant
                        quote Mumbles:

The gears and shafts never get lubed so if you take the tiller all apart right back to the throttle shaft gear and clean them and grease them it will be like new again!

The original OMC "yellow" grease dries up nice and sticky! Good stuff 50 or 60 years ago maybe!
                        Like you say, clean it out and lube it up and things work very nice again.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.