Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5hp Crank Play

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    OMCJoe
    Participant

Hey Guys, it’s been a little while but I got the lower unit off today and pulled the shock absorber out. It measured in right at 6-11/16″ so sounds like it is still good…. I didn’t see any wear on the bearing plate either. It seems the general consensus would be to weld it anyway as a preventative step. Is this correct?

If so, I have access to a TIG welder so should be no problem. Are there any tips or articles out there on how to do it? Seems fairly straight forward, just run a small bead around the circumference at the parting line of the two halves?

David Bartlett
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hey Guys, it’s been a little while but I got the lower unit off today and pulled the shock absorber out. It measured in right at 6-11/16″ so sounds like it is still good…. I didn’t see any wear on the bearing plate either. It seems the general consensus would be to weld it anyway as a preventative step. Is this correct?

If so, I have access to a TIG welder so should be no problem. Are there any tips or articles out there on how to do it? Seems fairly straight forward, just run a small bead around the circumference at the parting line of the two halves?

Joe,

No need to weld all the way around. Just tack it in a few places.

David Bartlett
        Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

Mumbles
        Participant

Being a ’56, your motor might have an early brass 303356 plate in it, which tend to wear out over time. Best to install a later stainless one used thru ’79.

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.