1956 Gale 12D13 12hp outboard

Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 Gale 12D13 12hp outboard

This topic contains 21 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Mumbles Mumbles 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
    vintage.1958

Replies: 16
    Topics: 2

HA! Exactly. I turned it over like you suggested and it’s fixed. Thanks again, and now on to the final stage of making this a running outboard. If this is all I get wrong I will feel fortunate.

vintage.1958

I ran the motor in a barrel yesterday. It ran fine and made no unusual noises. The only issue is the high speed needle in the carburetor has to be set at 1/4 turn out from lightly seated or it dies. I replaced everything in the carburetor except for the cork float which I have ordered the modern replacement and will change out. Looking at the parts list I can’t find anything out of order. I searched for tips on what could be causing this issue and found part #70, 302984, Gasket – Float Chamber to Carburetor Body Boss mentioned as a possible problem but I changed that out with a new one during the rebuild. Chased all the circuits with fine wire, soaked carburetor, and blew them out with compressed air.

frankr
    frankr
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 4318
    Topics: 43

So what’s the problem? I would consider 3/8 turn to be normal. You aren’t that far off. That’s why they are adjustable in the first place.
    Yes, said gasket needs to be in there or fuel bypasses the needle.

vintage.1958

I was going by the operating instructions stating 1 1/2 turns initially. It wouldn’t start at that setting but eventually got it started by turning the high speed in.

frankr
    frankr
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 4318
    Topics: 43

1 1/2 turns on the high speed needle is just so wrong. That would flood it like crazy. Most people begin with 3/4 and adjust from there.

vintage.1958

Thanks for clarifying that.

Mumbles
    Mumbles
    Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4152
    Topics: 421

The only issue is the high speed needle in the carburetor has to be set at 1/4 turn out from lightly seated or it dies. /quote]

There’s nothing wrong with that. The initial setting is just a ballpark figure to get the motor running and as soon as it starts, finer adjustments will have to be made as it warms up. All motors will have the needles set at different amounts to find the sweet spot so just adjust them for best running and enjoy it!

If your motor uses a pressure tank, final adjustments should be made with the motor on a boat and time allowed for the tank to develop full pressure. This ensures the fuel level in the carb bowl is at it’s proper level.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.