Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 Gale 12D13 12hp outboard

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    vintage.1958
    Participant

Yes, I found several discussions about the seal. Looks like the lip faces out instead of the metal out? Thanks for your help.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

That is correct. The goal is to keep water out. No problem is some oil/fuel escapes.

wbeaton
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Good to know about that seal. I just picked up a 56 ELTO 12. I’ll make sure to check it.

Wayne
          Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

vintage.1958
          Participant

I’m nearing the finish line on this motor but the stator plate is loose and nothing seems to tighten it up. The four screws are tight. My first thought is there’s something missing that isn’t listed in the parts manual. Numbers 42, 43, and 44 on the powerhead page are what I have on this motor. http://www.richardlpaquette.ca/12D13VManual.PDF

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Those are what holds it. You do have # 44 right side up, don’t you? It goes flat side up.

vintage.1958
              Participant

HA! Exactly. I turned it over like you suggested and it’s fixed. Thanks again, and now on to the final stage of making this a running outboard. If this is all I get wrong I will feel fortunate.

vintage.1958
                Participant

I ran the motor in a barrel yesterday. It ran fine and made no unusual noises. The only issue is the high speed needle in the carburetor has to be set at 1/4 turn out from lightly seated or it dies. I replaced everything in the carburetor except for the cork float which I have ordered the modern replacement and will change out. Looking at the parts list I can’t find anything out of order. I searched for tips on what could be causing this issue and found part #70, 302984, Gasket – Float Chamber to Carburetor Body Boss mentioned as a possible problem but I changed that out with a new one during the rebuild. Chased all the circuits with fine wire, soaked carburetor, and blew them out with compressed air.

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

So what’s the problem? I would consider 3/8 turn to be normal. You aren’t that far off. That’s why they are adjustable in the first place.
                    Yes, said gasket needs to be in there or fuel bypasses the needle.

vintage.1958
                    Participant

I was going by the operating instructions stating 1 1/2 turns initially. It wouldn’t start at that setting but eventually got it started by turning the high speed in.

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

1 1/2 turns on the high speed needle is just so wrong. That would flood it like crazy. Most people begin with 3/4 and adjust from there.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.