Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 Johnson 10 hp. Water Discharge Temp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author

The discharge water temp im getting out of this motor seems really hot.

Im running it in a barrel but only for 1 or 2  mins.

Its pumping but it seems pretty hot  , i just dont want to ruin anything.

I know the discharge water out of my Mariner 115 is usually just luke warm to the touch.

I’d  appriciate any thoughts , Thanks , D

fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hmmm.  Are you running it in this hot weather??   How is the powerhead temp?

Generally speaking, the water discharge on these engines never gets “hot”.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hmmm.  Are you running it in this hot weather??   How is the powerhead temp?

Generally speaking, the water discharge on these engines never gets “hot”.

PS:  I’m guessing you are referring to the overboard indicator water discharge on the Merc.  If so, this outlet is often tapped out of the begginning of the cooling circuit, so it is usually relatively cool…

Yeah , Thank you .  I must have a partial blockage somewhere.  I may have to pull the powerhead again.

Not to hot here in Co.

I cleaned all ( i think ) the water passages when i had the head torn apart . I might have to check again.

Or the water passage inside the lower unit.  Maybe i missed something.

The head dosn’t get real hot because i dont let it.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Keep in mind there is a tiny bleed/exit hole under the powerhead that leads directly from the lower cylinder cooling sleeve into the exhaust housing…  This hole is there to help keep the exhaust housing cool.  Be sure to check this, could be carboned up.  Don’t reinstall the powerhead without being 100 percent sure this hole is clear.  Post pictures if that will help

bob-d
          Participant

US Member

As Don said above, pull your powerhead again, and look for the tiny bleed hole under it.
            I had the exact same problem a few years ago on a motor I was restoring. I followed Dons advice and that was the solution.
            Get a sharp object, I used a dental pick. Flip your head upside down, and pry all around. My bleed hole was invisible from years of carbon buildup from the old 30 weight oil/ gas mixture.

Bob D

Thank you guys !  Ive been out of town for a couple of days , but your exactly right !

I missed that tiny hole and some bug nests in some other passages.

When i get to reinstall the lower unit I bet , things will be finw.

I’ll post up and let you know.  Once again , Thanks alot ! D

That did the trick !  Just warm now  !  Thank you all very much !   Great forum , this was my first rebuild.

Now i’ll be looking for another motor.

I was trying to download a 2MB video of it running but i had to give up ! Thats harder than rebuilding the motor !

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Cool, glad it worked out…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.