1956 Johnson RDE-18E

Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 Johnson RDE-18E

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 31 total)

• Harmattan1

Replies: 26
    Topics: 5

Gentlemen, thank you once again for you quick and knowledgeable responses to this post of mine. I really appreciate all of the help. As a matter of fact, I listened to the responses on the first post and went back to the seller and basically laid out the details you guys provided and after speaking with the seller, he gave me the option of either returning it for a complete refund or he would refund $200 of the $300 I paid for the motor. I chose the $200 option and decided to keep it. Part of the reason for this is 2 fold. I figure it will be a good motor to gain some experience on even if it does not turn out the way I hope it will. The other reason is that if I get the motor in nice mechanical shape and better yet, a more complete overall recondition with new paint, etc., I think it will be very satisfying. In the interim I have already managed to find the manual starter assembly complete, and the silencer unit which includes both halves as well as the 2 piece insert that goes in the silencer. I also have a lead on the bracket that Bob just mentioned and will connect on that as soon as time permits.

Harmattan1

Don, I am glad you are a part of this community. I contacted the seller. He was good enough to let me decide to either return for refund or keep the motor and he would give me $200 back. After some thought, I decided to keep it, get the $200 refund, and do my best to get it done right. I have decent mechanical experience. Spent 20+ years as an offset printing pressman. I am handy with my tools overall and I can figure out a lot of things if I have the right info/tools/parts, etc. The thing that I lack is experience working on outboards. Ive done a good bit of work on my cars over the years. Nothing super serious like rebuilding the engines completely but many other things. As far as the painting, I just finished a stint working as a professional refinisher of kitchen cabinetry and hardwood flooring with a company called N Hance. Very top end work. A friend of mine has the powder blast tools that I can use to glass bead the parts down to bare metal and also the sprayers to apply the paints/finishes.
    I think my biggest concern is getting the lower unit seals done right. That seems to me to be the biggest challenge at this point. The seller determined the need for the impeller/water pump replacement when he attempted to run the motor the first time and noticed it was not circulating water. So he hooked water supply into the internals and ran the motor just enough to see if it ran at all which it did but just briefly and enough to see if it would run at all.
    I would be more than happy to connect by phone. My number is 540 419 8391. If you make contact, text me first and let me know who it is that is making contact and then I will answer when you call. I usually dont answer if I dont know who is trying to call. Thanks for the support and advice. It matters.

Tom

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3587
    Topics: 326

see the URL on top of this picture retype it and you will accces the johson red book where you will find all the info you need… the rest is on

you tube.(resealing the lower gearcase) lots of videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCkpGD4bgDI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78zZZbKgR7Q
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX1u6rtUE1M&t=85s

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by crosbyman.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

OK, well it is refreshing to hear of such an honest guy like the seller…. Sounds like you are hunting down needed pieces, you will find everything eventually. Next, I would do a compression test to make sure the powerhead is serviceable. Then, I would drain the gearcase. There are two large fill drain screws, one is just about the ventilation plate, the other is well hidden under the snoot in front of the gearcase. Please do not remove the phillips screw that is on the skeg, this will cause the shift linkage to fall apart inside. Remove both fill and drain screws and let us know what you find…
    Let’s approach this problem slowly, and not rip into too much at once. Will text you. Don

Harmattan1

Thanks for the videos Crosbyman, they are going to come in handy for sure. I was able to also access the johnson red book on the link. Invaluable reference there.

Tom

Harmattan1

Don, I took the drain/fill screws out and drained the gearcase. The fluid came out brown, slightly light, not as bad as the fluid that came out of my 5.5. I did not see separation but I just drained it and will check it after a few hours to see what it looks like. It will probably do good to replace the seals if need be. What do you think?

Tom

Harmattan1

Here are a couple pics of the fluid I drained out.

30HP-fluid

30HP-fluid2

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Mumbles.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Well, for now I am going to advise leaving it alone….Perhaps it is relatively clean because it was recently changed…Leaks can be caused by something as simple as missing drain screw washer/seals, or screws with two of them in place. Fairly common, would be a shame to pull this thing all apart just due to a leaky fill/drain screw gasket.
    Once you have the gearcase removed and the water pump off, we will try to rig something up so you can pressure test it…This is the only good way to evaluate for leaky seals/orings. Pull the prop off now also, make sure there is no fishline/grass caught in the prop shaft seal…

ede

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 181
    Topics: 7

Harmattan, There are a number of AOMCI members in your area code that would be willing to assist you in your project. I don’t text, Ed Elliott, eddelliott@cox.net

Harmattan1

I just came online this evening and made the error of deleting the very last response to this most recent addition(pics of the gear oil) If the member who left that message can resend the message, I would appreciate it.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.