1957 18 Johnson

Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 18 Johnson

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)

• jerry-ahrens

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 986
    Topics: 40

I have a 1957 Johnson, that sayes it’s an FD 11 K. I’m curious what the ”K” designation represents ?

fisherman6

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1702
    Topics: 34

I believe that K is just a mid-model revision of some type. Hard to tell if there is any good record of what that is. If anyone knows, it will probably be Garry or Frank.
    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

PugetSoundBoater

Replies: 900
    Topics: 105

As i understand it like Fisherman says, it is a mid year change(s). I have never seen any lists documenting what these changes were. This last letter designating a mid year modification has been used for both Evinrude and Johnson for many years.
    If anyone has any specifics what these changes were, i for one would like to see them.
    Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
    Robbie Robertson

jerry-ahrens

Replies: 986
    Topics: 40

I thought that might be the case. I guess I’ve never had one with the extra letter. I just love the FD motors…. lots of power in a light weight package.
    One other question while on the subject of this motor, what would be a good 2 blade speed prop for a Model F Alumacraft and a 120 lb. boy at the controls? I know there’s been discussion on some different prop/pitch options used on the 18. Just curious if someone has a suggestion. My son has been running this motor on a Deep C using a 9 pitch with about the right amount rpm’s at WOT. I’m sure we can come up a bit in pitch when we move this same motor over to his new Model F.

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51
    quote pugetsoundboater:

As i understand it like Fisherman says, it is a mid year change(s). I have never seen any lists documenting what these changes were. This last letter designating a mid year modification has been used for both Evinrude and Johnson for many years.
    If anyone has any specifics what these changes were, i for one would like to see them.
    Jim PSB

Concerning the years they used the system, the only way I know of to tell what the change was is to look at the parts list. If the part you are looking for is affected, it will indicate it. Actually, Johnson used letter suffixes and Evinrude listed the serial numbers affected (did I mention depends on the model year?).

PugetSoundBoater

Replies: 900
    Topics: 105

There would also be the Product Service Bulletins to give some parts update/change to your specific model.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
    Robbie Robertson

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

The difference is in the gearcase.

The models with the K designation (or Evinrudes after serial number 22000) use a the 302545 prop shaft seal, as in the 1958 18hp.

Note this if/when you buy a seal kit.

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Example (Johnson version). Of course this only works if you have the final edition of the parts book. Obviously, the change won’t be in the edition before the change was made.

image upload no limit

fisherman6

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1702
    Topics: 34

Jerry,
    Someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the typical "go to" speed prop for the 15s and 18s is the Michigan AJC 417. That is a 9×11 2 blade if I’m not mistaken. I’m still trying to find one I don’t mind paying the price for.
    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

phil-b

Replies: 463
    Topics: 28

I was sad when MarineEngine.com "updated" their older parts diagrams from scans of the original parts diagrams (which included the alternate part info, and what model(s) it applied to), to more "ordering friendly" lists of parts, WITHOUT any indication of what model/serial the alternate parts apply to

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.