Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Evinrude 18hp Electric Starting Model Starving for Fuel

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Leslie Jacobson
    Participant

Good afternoon,

We have a 1957 Evinrude 18hp Electric Starting Model that we are having issues with and cannot figure out why.

We were gifted the motor from my father for our newly restored wooden boat.  We have a friend that is a licensed mechanic and mostly works on motorcycyles replace seals and add the fuel pump people recommended online to use a ‘regular’ outboard tank.  IMG_4529

It was running fine in the barrel, but once on the back of the boat, everything changed.  The outboard is small (14ft) and only weighs about 600lbs with the motor, but the motor sounded like it was starving for fuel.  We had to keep pumping the bulb.  After being stranded on the river last Fall, we haven’t taken it out since.

Running it in the barrel from the back of the boat, it starts, but doesn’t run long.  It also backfires.

Can anyone point us in the right direction of what might be wrong?  We are eager to get back out on the water!

Thank you,

Leslie

johnny
      Participant

US Member

It looks like it has been converted to run with a fuel pump. It originally came with a two line pressure tank. Check your fuel lines and your fuel pump.

bobw
        Participant

US Member

With the engine cowling off, that one line sticks way outside the line of the cowl gasket.   Is it possible that line is getting kinked or restricted when you have the cowl on the motor?

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Tom
          Participant

US Member

You need to ask your mechanic what he did when he converted to a fuel pump.  If he didn’t take the valves out, the fuel pump won’t work.

It looks like the pulse line goes to the original pressure tank air outlet at the front of the block.  He should have drilled and tapped one of the bypass covers, installed a hose fitting, and used that for the pulse line to the pump.

T

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Tom.
            crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

see similar installation on  bypass cover

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Leslie Jacobson
              Participant

Thank you, everyone for your feedback.

Does anyone know a vintage outboard mechanic in the Chicago area that we could take it to?

Thank you,

Leslie

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

if you need to keep pumping to keep it going the vacum pulse mod is likely  not done properly  and the pump does not work

see videos of a similar  mod on a smaller HP engine.

(1597) HOW TO CONVERT 50s motors from two line tanks – YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojOMbwvH55I

same basics

otherwise it is best to use the bypass cover  method shown above  to get a good pulse for the pump  and just plug off the air nipple  behind the carb with a stub of rubber hose and a large bolt in it

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by crosbyman.
                  fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Like everyone says, I hate to see those nice old engines converted sloppily like this.  Like someone else pointed out, that fuel pump doesn’t fit very well, and hoses could be getting crimped with the cover on.  I’m trying to remember if you said that the engine will run if the primer bulb is pressed continually, but I believe you said it would not.

And, like others questioned, I will ask again about just how this engine was converted.  There is a nipple on the lower left side of the intake manifold that needs to be capped off.  Have a look, post some more pictures if that is helpful.  Perhaps the nipple was capped off, but the rubber cover fell off.  The engine won’t run if the pressure nipple is open.

Now, there is the possibility that something else is keeping the engine from running.  Has anyone checked the ignition?  Older engines like this one usually have coils that are cracked/damaged.  I can tell you how to inspect them without taking the flywheel off if you would like.  I would probably not go back to whoever made this conversion, this engine deserves better attention.  It is also possible that the carb is dirty/messed up.

But, we should really start at the beginning, which is your fuel/oil supply.  First off, this engine requires a fuel/oil mix of 24:1, 1qt of outboard TCW3 oil to six gallons of regular fuel.  Is the fuel/oil supply fresh?  Are you sure there is not water in the tank?  Today’s fuels tend to separate/attract water as it ages, so fuel/oil over a year old should probably be replaced.  The next thing that should be checked is your tank.  The tank could be dirty inside, or have a supply line/pipe that is restricted or has an air leak.  Is there an air vent on the cap?  If so, is it open?  If the tank is internally vented, try running the engine with the tank cap loose.

It is always best to check/recheck the basics, before diving into more complex problems that aren’t there.  This looks like a beautiful engine, and we surely want you to enjoy it.  Sorry, I don’t know of anyone in the chicago area, but I’m sure we can find someone through this website…  Don

PS:  Please post any copies of repair work that has been done recently, perhaps that will help us pinpoint an issue.  Unfortunately, most of today’s younger outboard techs are not very familiar with these older engines.  Repairs are oftentimes performed improperly, even though the tech may have had the best of intentions.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by fleetwin. Reason: addition
                    seakaye12
                    Participant

US Member

Like Tom mentioned above;  the fuel pump appears to be connected improperly.  The nicest way to fix this is to search out the Intake Port cover from a later (1960 and up) 18HP OMC.  That will provide the mounting for the correct OMC fuel pump.  A bit pricier way to go….but the installation will be so much better.

Look for OMC #307477

307477-Intake-Cover-18HP

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by seakaye12.
                      • This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by seakaye12.
                      johnny
                      Participant

US Member

You can always pull all that crap off and go back to using a pressure tank. I have had quite a few 1957 Evinrude 18 HP motors over the years and they have all run very well. I think they are one of the best motors OMC ever made. Of course, all of mine retained the pressure tank system of delivering gas to the carburetor just the way the factory designed them to run.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.