Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Evinrude 18hp Electric Starting Model Starving for Fuel

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Leslie Jacobson
    Participant

It looks like we have some investigating to do.  Overall, it ran great to begin with, then proceeded to get worse.

The carbs have been cleaned. The spark plugs have been replaced twice and the fuel/oil mixture is correct.  We are using a brand new tank, new fuel line, etc. and it had been running through the gas pretty quickly, so the fuel isn’t old.  There is an air vent and missed loosening the cap before.  One concern is that we have the tank in the hull because there is little room in our boat altogether.  It is possible that the length of the line and possibly getting pinched running along the floor of the boat.

There are wires that have not been replaced.

We would love to learn how to check the ignition.

I will see if I can create a video walk around of the motor and post the link.

I will keep everyone posted!  Thanks again for your help.

Steve A W
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Look in your 2022 Membership Directory and see if someone is

close to you.

You can also see if there is an upcoming meet within driving distance.

Member of the MOB chapter.
        I live in Northwest Indiana

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, there certainly could be an issue like you stated.  Fuel flow resistance increases when the length of the line increases.  It is possible that the tank is stored too low in the boat, and that fuel pump isn’t powerful enough to pull it up.  The fuel line could be pinched, or have an air leak somewhere.

Did this engine ever run correctly with this fuel pump set up?  Is the fuel pump pulse line connected to the pressure nipple on the lower left hand side of the intake manifold?  If so, modifications inside the manifold would have had to have been made so the pump receives both pressure and vacuum pulses.  Does the intake manifold look like it has been removed before?  And again, as others have pointed out, that line coming off the fuel pump looks as if it will get pinched when the engine cover is in place.  So, perhaps the engine cover is pinching off the fuel supply or pulse line.

Did you pay a shop to make these modifications?  If so, you might want to return it to them, repairs will probably be made free of charge.  Like others have said, it would have been best to find the proper bypass cover with the fuel pump mount on it, and the pulse port drilled through.  The set up on there is pretty hokey, but that does not mean it isn’t performing properly.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by fleetwin. Reason: addition
        Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.