Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Evinrude 5½ & 7½ Prop: The Same?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    oldoutboardjim
    Participant

I have a really nice, low-hour 1957 Evinrude 5½. Unfortunately, sometime in its life the prop apparently encountered some rocks, and is kinda dinged-up.
      I have a very nice prop from a similar vintage Evinrude 7½. Are these props the same? If not, what will happen if I use the 7½ prop on the 5½?

mr-asa
      Participant

Nope
        If you put the 5.5HP prop on the 7.5, you get a definite reduction in usable power. I’m not sure what happens if you do the opposite.

chris-p
        Participant

For wall hangers sure, fur usable motors, nope. Youll lug the poor girl.

oldoutboardjim
          Participant
            quote Chris_P:

For wall hangers sure, fur usable motors, nope. Youll lug the poor girl.

Don’t want to do that; there’s not much horsepower to begin with!

Mumbles
            Participant

To tell the difference between a 5.5 and 7.5 horse prop, I lay them on a bench and look across the blades. The 7.5 prop blades here on the right are noticeably higher than a 5.5 blade. This can save a lot of confusion when you can’t read the numbers up high in the hub.

Also, the 7.5 prop usually has ‘7 1/2’ cast into the front of one of the blades. The pitch difference between the two is 1 1/4" which is roughly 15%.

phil-b
              Participant

Were all the 5.5 & 7.5 props "weedless"?

oldoutboardjim
                Participant

Thanks, everyone. I will not use the 7½ prop.
                  I have a new prop for an newer OMC 5. I will check it against the old 5½ prop. If it looks the same, I’ll use it.

chris-p
                  Participant

I don’t run a lot of the newer 4hps, 5hps, 6hps, etc…

Wondered if the props interchange amoung any of them?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.