Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Evinrude Big Twin 35 flywheel keyway

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    twinrudes
    Participant

Why are there two marks on the flywheel keyway?
      I also noticed that I believe it has to go on one way, taper is different?
      Thanks,
      John

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Searching my brain for the two marks you are asking about. If you mean on the side of the key, next to the curve, those are there to make it fit tightly in the crankshaft keyway. In other words, you almost have to hammer it into the keyway. Now what’s this about one way, taper? Maybe I don’t understand your question.

twinrudes
        Participant

Frank,
          It seems to fit only one way, in other words, it appears that there is a top and bottom? Maybe I’m nuts. But I’m a little paranoid here. I had to replace the flywheel and key because it spun, don’t want to have to deal with this again!
          Any idea what size thread the shaft is?

Clearly the round side goes into the shaft first, but boy oh boy, there isn’t much of a protrusion to go into the flywheel.

foot_doctor
          Participant

US Member

It’s important to remember that the key is simply an alignment tool to correctly place the flywheel in time with the crankshaft and magneto. If the flywheel retaining nut is not torqued to the proper spec, and it’s too loose, the flywheel will float around on the crank and eventually damage the keeways and shear the key. Some of us like to use some Clover brand valve grinding compound on the tapers while rotating the flywheel back and forth to intimately match the tapers. (clean all residue of compound before final assembly) Assemble the flywheel to the crank dry. Use no lubricant between them, and always use a strap wrench and torque wrench. R.T.

kerry
            Participant

US Member

I seem to remember in Max W’s book "Cheap Outboards" that the key goes ONE WAY, but can’t remember if the marks go up or down. Trying to find the book, but the wife must have hid it from me when she cleaned.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

david-bartlett
              Participant

The upset mark on the key should be down.

frankr
                Participant

US Member
                  quote Kerry:

I seem to remember in Max W’s book “Cheap Outboards” that the key goes ONE WAY, but can’t remember if the marks go up or down. Trying to find the book, but the wife must have hid it from me when she cleaned.

That refers to the key used in the smaller motors, up to 20hp. Does not apply to the Big Twin motors. There is no "up" or "down" to the Big Twin motors.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.