Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Evinrude Big Twin-Frozen Flywheel-UPDATE

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    danblue
    Participant

Well, I was able to remove the lower unit, and the flywheel is still stuck.I removed the pull starter top thing, and the flywheel is completely exposed as members recommended in an earlier post. I did not try to remove that big bolt on the very to center of the flywheel though…just so everyone is aware.

I took a big wad of duck tape and created a cushion, then I started to forcefully tap a flathead screwdriver with a hammer in between the teeth of the flywheel making the flywheel rotate counterclockwise a pretty good amount. When I first looked into the engine port where the spark plugs are located, I noticed the piston face (is this correct) was butt up against the the top hole opening…the bottom hole opening was just an open black hole and I couldn’t see anything…

After some careful hammering on the flywheel, I noticed some movement of the piston in the top hole..(the piston face was further inside the engine after the hammering, which means things are moving and not frozen in the powerhead)…I would assume this is reasonably good news…

Although I can now wiggle the flywheel counterclockwise and clockwise maybe 1/2 an inch, it’s still stuck and won’t budge by hand.

Any help is much appreciated!

wedgie
      Participant

Sounds like the powerhead has to come apart. I wouldn’t attempt trying to free it up by hammering anymore as it may cause more damage.

wedgie
        Participant

On second thought.

Pull the flywheel. It may be the coils have come loose, or chunks of broken coil insulation are binding on the flywheel.

chris-p
          Participant

If the rings are lightly rusted to the bore, you MAY be ok. If the bearings and such in the powerhead have rust, she must be opened up to repair. OR a donor powerhead will need to be found.

Lay the motor so that the spark plug holes are facing up. Pour some acetone/ATF oil mix into the bore, and let it sit a week or so. Then try moving it again.

As Wedgie stated though, very often in these situations there are other issues in the powerhead that need attention.

frankr
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Yes, it barfed. I can tell you from experience that that year had a problem with needles getting out of the wrist pin bearings and jamming between the piston and cylinder wall, causing severe damage. But that does not mean for certain that is what happened in this case. It has to come apart to evaluate the damage. Sorry ’bout that.

EDIT: Some of the first steps in a complete powerhead disassembly are removal of flywheel and cylinder head. By the time you get that far, you will have a pretty good idea of what happened.

wedgie
              Participant

😥 The easiest and cheapest way to remedy is to find a replacement powerhead. Rebuilding would be a labour of love .

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so the gearcase is not the culprit. Like others have said, your only hope now is that something has come loose under the flywheel jamming it. Don’t attempt to remove that flywheel without the proper tools/puller, you will only cause damage and injure yourself.
                  But, you could remove the four screws that hold the inspection cover on top of the flywheel. Peeking inside under the flywheel might reveal something.
                  Don

danblue
                  Participant

Perfect. Thank you Don. I’ll go out to the garage now and take a look. BTW, I did remove the TWO screws that hold down a small plate on top of the flywheel earlier, and I could see a bit of the coil unit under there, and I must say all the components looked virtually brand new…this motor has been extremely well cared for, so I’m truly disappointed in the situation. I’ll check again to see if I can locate the 4 screws you are mentioning.

Will keep you al posted.

Thanks!

frankr
                    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Actually, it is two screws on yours.

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so it looks OK under the flywheel, at least as far as you can see. The next step that you can accomplish easily is to remove the cylinder head, provided this is a fresh water engine.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 34 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.