Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Evinrude Big Twin-Frozen Flywheel-UPDATE

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well have you pulled the cylinder head off? You won’t know for sure until you do so, there is still the slight chance that something under the flywheel is jamming the engine even though nothing was obvious when you peeked under the flywheel.
      I know how you feel, I have been disappointed more than once by a motor that was in nice cosmetic condition. You have paid a lot of money for repairs, but reported the gearcase was jumping out of gear. It may be that the linkage was just improperly adjusted, but who knows.
      These Bigtwins as a rule, are good/reliable engines. You mention "chronic" problems with jumping out of gear. This issue surely was not chronic, and usually only occurs due to poor linkage adjustments. The wrist pin bearing issue Frank mentioned is unfortunate, and corrected in later models. You mention (at least I think you did) that your powerhead was completely rebuilt, but the crankcase screws appear undisturbed (not repainted also) in your pictures.
      At this point, you have nothing to lose by pulling the head. I would recommend pulling the flywheel first, but you don’t have the proper tools for that. Perhaps the repair shop would be willing to help out by pulling that flywheel for you before pulling the head. Pulling the flywheel with the proper tools takes only minutes. Give them a call, you have nothing to lose. Have any local members replied to your inquiry?
      Buying another used outboard may or may not be the answer, at least you know what you have with this engine, and it sounds like it is in real nice cosmetic condition. A serviceable 1958 35hp powerhead shouldn’t be that hard to find, which would get you through the rest of the summer. I’m sure we can find someone to help you out with tearing apart the old powerhead and evaluating it for rebuilding during the winter months.
      I just had one more thought also. You mention it was "jumping out of gear" while running/skiing just before it failed. Perhaps what seemed like jumping out of gear was the engine jamming due to the needles coming out of the wrist pin bearing getting caught in the combustion chamber/ports. It just might be that there is nothing wrong with the gearcase after all.
      I surely understand your frustration and hope something can be worked out to get you through the summer using this engine.
      Don

gjonz
      Participant

All of the above is good advice.

By the way a harmonically balanced puller is fairly inexpensive. Like under 30 bucks.

Greg

chinewalker
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Pull it apart! A clean survivor like that deserves a little CSI treatment to see what’s going on. Also, it is possible to swap 1958 powerhead guts into a ’57 powerhead. That would keep your motor going, give it the update, and allow you to freshen it up while you’re in there (hone, clean up carbon, etc.) ANY 50-60 year old powerhead has the potential to give you fits. Go through it right off the bat and you know what you have.

danblue
          Participant

Thank you kindly for the advice and guidence everyone!

Fleetwin, I have been in contact with Bob Grubb, and I plan to drive my boat/motor up to his place within the next couple of weeks. He has extended himself to help me dig into this issue, so I’m very grateful for his time and consideration.

Well, I feel better about this situation thanks to everyones supportive comments, and I guess we will find out how this thing will unfold soon enough.

To be clear, what year powerhead should I be looking for, and must it be from a 35hp? As well, these are interchangeble with the Johnson Sea Horses correct? Should I avoid Johnson 1957 powerheads and should I stick strictly with either Evinrude or Johnson 35hp 1958 power heads?

Thanks guys!

1946zephyr
            Participant

You can go with ’57 or ’58 Johnson and Evinrude on that. Make sure that the ’58 is NOT the Super Quiet style though. They won’t bolt up

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, sounds like a great plan, Bob will get this sorted out. Ideally, you would want to find a powerhead from either a 1958 Evinrude or Johnson 35hp, but not the super quiet models like Zephyr mentioned. I wouldn’t worry about buying a powerhead now, unless Bob wants you to, let him look at it first.
                Don

danblue
                Participant

But wouldn’t the 1957 Evinrude/Johnson powerheads have these faulty wrist pin needle bearings…even if the powerhead on my Big Twin had been rebuilt at some point? Fleetwin recommended I look for a 1958 35hp powerhead since the manufacturers used a more reliable bearing for the wrist pin after all the problems with the 1957 models.

Is this correct guys? Shouldn’t I look for a 1958 35hp Johnson or Evinrude powerhead?

BTW, I just checked and the serial numbers on the engine plate match the serial numbers on that little round silver badge on top of the powerhead, so this is the original powerhead on my Big Twin and I would imagine it was never rebuilt!

Thanks,

chinewalker
                  Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

A Super Quiet powerhead is easy to distinguish if you can look at the base of the powerhead. It’ll be more or less an oval footprint. Yours is a more geometric mishmash of rectangular and triangular shapes.

1946zephyr
                    Participant
                      quote danblue:

But wouldn’t the 1957 Evinrude/Johnson powerheads have these faulty wrist pin needle bearings…even if the powerhead on my Big Twin had been rebuilt at some point? Fleetwin recommended I look for a 1958 35hp powerhead since the manufacturers used a more reliable bearing for the wrist pin after all the problems with the 1957 models.

Is this correct guys? Shouldn’t I look for a 1958 35hp Johnson or Evinrude powerhead?

BTW, I just checked and the serial numbers on the engine plate match the serial numbers on that little round silver badge on top of the powerhead, so this is the original powerhead on my Big Twin and I would imagine it was never rebuilt!

Thanks,

Well if the ’58 has improved needle bearings, then I would go for that. Dont worry though, the ’57’s are still good motors though. The needle bearing issue is not really that common. Look how many ’57’s are still out there. LOL

opposedtwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                        quote danblue:

Thank you kindly for the advice and guidence everyone!

Fleetwin, I have been in contact with Bob Grubb, and I plan to drive my boat/motor up to his place within the next couple of weeks. He has extended himself to help me dig into this issue, so I’m very grateful for his time and consideration.

Well, I feel better about this situation thanks to everyones supportive comments, and I guess we will find out how this thing will unfold soon enough.

To be clear, what year powerhead should I be looking for, and must it be from a 35hp? As well, these are interchangeble with the Johnson Sea Horses correct? Should I avoid Johnson 1957 powerheads and should I stick strictly with either Evinrude or Johnson 35hp 1958 power heads?

Thanks guys!

as soon as I read that you are in touch with bob grubb, my first instinct was to cheer! he will point you in the right direction, be able to answer all your questions and repair anything you can break. you’re in very good hands. in fact of all the qualified and experienced guys this club has, I wouldn’t hesitate at all to say he’s in the top 5, maybe top 3. it’s almost like finding yoda! good work young skywalker!

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 34 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.