Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Feathercraft Rocket

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    jerry-ahrens
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

A friend of mine just picked this boat up today, and brought it by to show me. It has an interesting license plate on the bow of the boat, as shown in the pics. Has anyone seen this license plate before? I’ts very rusty, but it’s surely not for an automobile….
      What can you tell me about the boat? I’ve never seen this model before. I wanted to post this for my friend, to see what we can find out about it. Any info welcome, thanks!

jerry-ahrens
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Edit: I don’t have a good pic of the license plate, will post that later.. my camera battery died..

Steve D
        Participant

I looked at the Feathercraft website and ’56 had a Rocket but not the same design. ’58 didn’t have one. Here’s the ’57. Your friend’s looks like it’s in pretty good shape. Cool boat! 😎
          https://www.feathercraft.net/index.php/ … 57-catalog

Attachments:

vintin
          Participant

The Rocket is listed in the 1958 catalog here: http://feathercraft.net/index.php/catalogs/1958-catalog

In 1956 Feather Craft made a Golden Rocket that has a single cockpit and a covering in the transom area. It also has a different hull structure though the skin of the hull looks to be the same shape.

I have a 1958 Rocket exactly like the one photoed.

Steve D
            Participant

You’re right, I missed that in the ’58 catalog.

Attachments:

Pondrocket
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Jerry,

Looks like a great addition. Keep us posted on this setup for next season.

Travis

Travis
                AOMCI VP Communications
                AOMCI Webmaster
                webmaster@aomci.org

Anonymous

I have a 1957 Rocket Runabout II . I have had it at Tomahawk the last 2 years with a 1960 Mercury 300 35hp for power, and some years prior to that I had either a 1954 Evinrude Big Twin 25hp or a 1956 Johnson Javelin 30hp. My boat is a gold hull with blue side rockets trim. Fun boat to run.

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

transom seems a bit thin doesn’t it 😮

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

vintin
                    Participant
                      quote crosbyman:

transom seems a bit thin doesn’t it 😮

The inside wood is missing.

boatnut
                      Participant

I noticed this boat has a number of rivets on the bottom that have JB Weld smeared over the rivet heads. I have an aluminum StarCraft that I had to fix about 20 solid rivets that were loose. I have the aluminum rivets and the air hammer tools to fix solid rivets but you have to be able to get to both sides of the rivet to use the bucking bar. Pop rivets won’t work below the water line due to the hole in the middle of the rivet once the mandrel snaps off.

Some of these rivets are under the built in aluminum seats where I can’t get to the back of them. Has anyone ever taken the seats out of a FeatherCraft hull? It doesn’t look to me like there are a few rivets that were used to install preassembled seats. It almost looks like the seats were constructed in the boat. I realize these seats are structural and don’t want to open up a can of worms. It seems to me like there are way too many rivets tying into the gunwales, stringers, etc to drill out and disassemble the seats.

Let me know if anyone has some experience with this. I was able to fix my StarCraft up to the point I leak tested and it was dry as a bone. That was a combo of new rivets, 5200, and Glu-vit.

Thanks,

BoatNut (Don)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 34 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.