Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Feathercraft Rocket

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    vintin
    Participant

Boltdepot.com has what you are looking for in various sizes.

https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Detai … duct=15392

Anonymous

There’s also one put out by Olympic rivet that is a blind rivet. Upon installation it is supposed to look like a bucked rivet. Apparently it is popular with Airstream trailer restorers. May be the same as that posted by vintin

boatnut
        Participant

Neat! I guess the mandrel seals up from the inside? This will make life much easier. I always put a tiny dab of 5200 in the hole before I put in the rivet. I guess you could do the same on the hole the mandrel goes through. These are on the bottom of the boat where they won’t be seen. Blind rivets are certainly much easier to work with than the solid ones. Thanks for the tip! Don

chris-p
          Participant

I would like to see these in person, they sure look like pop rivets? How does the exposed head seal?

amuller
            Participant

There are closed end "pop" type rivets that will seal the hole. Just search on "closed end pop rivets." There are also aerospace blind rivets with strength equivalent to solid rivets. Expensive, but maybe worthwhile compared to dismantling the boat.

I’ve always felt cautious about using steel filled epoxies on aluminum because of corrosion concerns. I’m sure there are epoxies filled with aluminum or non-metallic fibers.

jerry-ahrens
              Participant

US Member

Here is the pic of the license plate I promised. it was attached to the port side at the bow of the boat. I’ve never seen one like it. I wonder if some states used to give you a license plate vs. registration #s ? Somehow I got this upside down, sorry..

Attachments:

dave-bernard
                Participant

US Member

I know Pennsylvania did in the 50’s I had them and have the scare to prove it . was up on the deck mounted. would flip down.

boatnut
                  Participant

I’m looking around for a motor and thought a 1957 Johnson or Evinrude 35HP would be ideal. I’ve seen a few 18HP FastTwin motors for sale. I wonder how well an 18HP would push this boat? It’s only 12′ long and 225 pounds. And I would assume the 18HP has to be considerably lighter which would be nice with that barrel backed transom. I’m not trying to set any speed records but want to make sure it is not under powered. The boat is rated for 35HP. Don

amuller
                    Participant

I have a ’69 25 hp which is the same "platform." It’s much lighter than a big twin and I expect it to be fun and lively on a suitable size/weight boat.

I need a hood for it. Anybody got one?

Anonymous

With the J?E 18hp the boat will only go maybe 22mph and you have run at max rpm to keep it there. 18hp on that boat would be under powered. I have tried a 1957 Johnson on mine and felt the motor was working it self to death.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 34 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.