Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Hiawatha 3.6 HP

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    marvk
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone had a Hiawatha / Scott Atwater 3.6 HP built in the late1950s? I was wondering how they are supposed to sound and run. I got mine from a neighbor at the lake who bought a cottage and it was sitting in the basement for over 30 years.

When I got it, all I did was to inspect and clean the points and reset them, and replace the cap for the gas tank which was stripped. I also replaced the impeller or wobbler as this one has.

It seems to run pretty well, but the carburetor is pretty touchy as far as settings go, it took some research to find that the low speed idle is backwards from the normal OMC. Meaning, that the low speed adjusts the air flow, not the fuel flow. Once I understood that, actually idles really well.

The fuel tank had a leak in it where the mounting studs are soldered or welded onto the tank, but once I sealed that up it seems to have taken care of that.

Anyways, here’s the link to a video I made this afternoon, was wondering if I needed to do any extra tweaking or adjustments to it? 🙂

https://youtu.be/_BPMgJDhVvc

ken-w
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Yep sounds right. What’s the model number, it will give you the year?

frankr
        Participant

Sounds beautiful. Mine is a ’47. But they made those things for many years. And lots of them.

marvk
          Participant

Model# is 75-OM3-25-7960B. Serial# 40751685. My wife hates it, but I think it’s pretty cool. Bottom line, I win! 😆 I do have the lower shroud for it, but I wanted to check for the leak first. I think it’s good to go.

ken-w
            Participant

You have a 1957 model year, the first two digits flipped is the year, OM3 signifies that it was built by Scott. Also the serial number 4075, 40 is Scott model for the 3.6hp Hiawatha and 75 flipped is the year.

marvk
              Participant

Thanks Ken. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.