Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Johnson 35hp Carb problem low speed plug

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    vintin
    Participant

On the low speed adjustment the insert plug looking part that goes into the carb came out with the packing nut and needle. I’ve had this happen in the past but have just put the parts back in and the motor had run fine for a couple of years now. I was replacing packing washers a few days ago and want to get it fixed right this time.

How do I get this plug to stay in the carb?

Locktite blue? Red?

Advice please!

Thanks.

gjonz
      Participant

I believe it is supposed to pull out for cleaning. The packing and packing nut keep it from turning or pulling out if the nut is cinched down properly.

Greg

chris-p
        Participant

Yup it is supposed to come out. Tightn nut to keep it from free spinning while you adjust needle

george-emmanuel
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Use a screwdriver shaped specifically for the width of the opening and for the slot in the seat otherwise the seat can be distorted, which leads to galling threads and inability to remove it in the future. I shape my screwdrivers on a bench grinder and then fine tune them with a file. Make sure the edge of the screwdriver has a good snug fit into the slot of the seat. If the outside edge of the seat has "expanded" due to improper screwdriver, I use the file to carefully clean up the distortion.

vintin
            Participant

Thanks for the tips guys. Sounds like I ‘fixed’ it already and didn’t know it! 🙂 And here I thought I had a carb problem. Feels good to get confirmation.

George I think you may be talking about the float needle seating, which is something other than what I was asking about. Do appreciate it though.

On a related note I’ve starting using 3/8 X 1/4 ‘O’ rings instead of packing washers. Feedback and other tips welcome.

Dan

chris-p
              Participant

Dan I cut my own packing washers out of cork gasket material from Canadian Tire or Princess Auto.

A couple correct sized gasket punches make quick work of the OD and ID.

chris-p
                Participant

Also, those darn things ONLY come out when you don’t want them to.

I lost one tonight cleaning a carb. Gone into the nether regions under the work bench somewhere.

Went into a box of spare carbs, you think ANY of them want to come out. Nope.

george-emmanuel
                  Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Nope, I was talking about the high and low speed seats. I don’t have the ability to post factory pictures and that prevents me from having a good presentation.

On a carb, there generally is a threaded opening into the carb body for the high and low speed circuits. Into that opening a seat (what you called an "insert plug", is screwed into and it usually is brass and soft. That seat has a slot cut into it so a screwdriver can screw the seat into that opening. It is that slot I was referring to that needs a properly fitted screwdriver elsewise the slot of the seat will be damaged.

In your case apparently that "insert plug" (seat) was not screwed into the carb body snugly. If it was, it would not back out.

vintin
                    Participant

Thanks George. Now you have me wondering. I didn’t see any threads on the plug that came out. I also need to work on the ability to post pictures.

gjonz
                      Participant

Respectfully disagreeing with George on this. I don’t believe the OMC Big Twin carbs of this vintage have removable high/low speed seats. If the seat gets damaged, the carb body must be replaced as they are cast into the carb body.

The insert the OP referred to is simply an aluminum tube that is threaded inside for the low speed needle. The packing and packing nut holds everything tight as described.

There is a brass jet inside the bowl that can be dicey getting them out. And also the float needle seat can be iffy with the wrong screw driver.

I have seen carbs with what George is describing, but the 50’s OMC’s do not typically have that design.

Greg

Greg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.