Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Johnson AD-11 not getting fuel

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    karlsutton
    Participant

I had backed the top need out 2 turns & the bottom 4 turns per the instructions that came with the rebuild kit. The lines & the fuel pump all look pretty new, that’s why I didn’t replace them, but I will go through & check for leaks again. Yes it is a glass bowl. Thank you so much for all the input – never having done this I didn’t even know what normal starting would look like.

chris-p
      Participant

Forget about those instructions! Listen to the guys on here. 1.5 for top or low speed, 3/4 for bottom or high speed.

karlsutton
        Participant

I got it running! The troubleshooting here was very helpful – especially pulling the bottom mix adjuster to see if fuel was coming out. Turns out I had put in the wrong size washer on the little screw the pin under the float goes into & the pin was stuck closed.

So now I want to test it out in some water – (I’ll take my kayak paddles too just in case) – any tips on tweaking it in the lake? Thank you so much for all the help.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, you have the most important ingredient for tweaking the needles: motor mounted on the boat and in the water running as it normally is used.
            In any event, fine tune the high speed needle first. Run the engine in gear at WOT with the normal load in the boat for a minute or so before gently leaning out the high speed mixture, allowing a few seconds between each 1/8th turn of the needle. The engine will start to lose RPM when you have leaned it out too far, probably best to leave the high speed needle about 1/8 turn rich from its optimal setting.
            Now idle the engine down in gear and let it run for 10 seconds or so before attempting to tweak the low speed needle. Do the same thing, gently lean out the low speed needle as the motor smooths out and RPM increases. You will know when you have gone too far when the engine starts to sneeze/cough. Again, leave the needle about 1/8th turn rich from its optimal setting.

karlsutton
            Participant

okay took it out this chilly Tennessee morning (it is May right?!) and it ran great in high speed if both needles were turned all the way in as though they were closed. The bottom needle labelled high speed would try to work its way out & the RPM’s would go down – tighten it back in & they go up. No matter what I tried I could not get it to run a low idle – it would just die. Suggestions? Thanks again we had a lot of fun running it. Oh and what is a "normal’ amount of smoke?

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Sounds like you need to tighten those packing nuts a bit so the needles hold their position. If the low speed packing nut is loose, air might be drawn in through the nut causing the engine to idle lean.
                You mention that the high speed needle needed to be just about closed completely in order to run OK at high speed, is this correct? Did you remember to reinstall/replace the nozzle gasket? The nozzle gasket is kind of a thick donut looking gasket that fits around the brass nozzle that threads into the carb body. The original nozzle gasket was probably cork and fell apart when you removed it.

karlsutton
                Participant

Hi, what should the oil gas mixture be?

Running pretty good – I had missed the extra rings – still dies out at low rpm.

frankr
                  Participant

US Member
                    quote KarlSutton:

Hi, what should the oil gas mixture be?

Running pretty good – I had missed the extra rings – still dies out at low rpm.

16:1, 1/2 pint of oil per gallon of gas.

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.