Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Scott Atwater 16hp carb settings

• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I just got my Scott Atwater running and would like to know the initial carb settings. It runs, but not for long.

Thanks in advance,
      Jim

retiredoz
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Depends on which carb you have. If it’s a Carter model N, the initial setting for both needles is approx 3/4 turn open. For the Tillotson MD the settings are 3/4 on the idle mix, and 1 1/2 turns on the main. On the MD, counter-clock rotation on the idle mix screw LEANS the micture..

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick response. The carb says Tillotson on the side…I don’t know whether or not it’s an MD. I’m also wondering why counter clockwise leans the mixture.

Thanks,
          Jim

retiredoz
          Participant

Ya got me there ! I just know that’s a (some) Tillotson’s quirk. I suppose it’s a design ‘feature’.

frankr
            Participant

On most MD Tillotsons, the slow speed needle controls AIR not fuel. Counter-clockwise (opens) lets in more air, making it leaner. Of course there are exceptions. A few had left-hand threads to reverse the effect. A few had long needles that went way in an controlled the fuel.

RICHARD A. WHITE
              Participant

Lifetime Member

I have a ’55 Scott-Atwater 16hp. It has the MD43B carb. Look on the oppisote side where it says Tillotson and the number should be there.
                Ran for the second time just this past weekend. Mine idled very nicely with the top knob turned out 5/8 of a turn from gently closed. I did not get an opportunity to adjust the high speed as I was running on the Tippecanoe River in Montecello Indiana. 5mph speed limit. But just once I opened it up, not all the way, just enough to get her moving… and slid to the middle seat….. GPS said I hit 18.5 and it was still gaining speed before I shut it down…It definitely needs more adjusting at high speed. Hoping for about 25 or so, not sure if I will get it but hey one can hope… I am lucky both impellers are at the lower unit and it pumped water VERY well. Hope this helps.

Richard

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                classicomctools@gmail.com

Anonymous

Thank you all for your help. The top needle on mine is short…so I assume that it’s one that controls air. That explains why opening it causes a lean mix.

Thanks,
                  Jim

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.