Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Sea King 12HP won't run right

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    huntleybill
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Got my Sea King put back together but it doesn’t run quite right. In order to get the motor to run well, the choke has to be closed between 1/2- 3/4. If I open the choke, it will sneeze and die. Seems to me there is a leak somewhere (maybe???). I tightened all the block bolts, head bolts, screws. Compression is 75 psi on both cylinders. I don’t have a parts manual for this motor so I don’t know if there is a seal leaking and if so, which one, and what the part number would be.

This would be a sweet motor if I can get it to run right. Any help on why this is happening would be appreciated.

Thank you
      Bill

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

A crankcase leak might be a valid guess, but probably not it. I’d sooner say the slow speed circuit in the carburetor is blocked. Or the carb butterfly is opening way too soon. Or the main bearings are worn out–but you would have noticed that, right?

huntleybill
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, I went through the carb twice because I first thought it was a carb issue. One thing I forgot to mention was that I put about a half gallon of fuel in the tank and it sucked that down in about 15 min. I have the timing of the butterfly to open just as the the lever gets to the mark. There is no knocking so I am assuming the bearings are ok…or am I wrong. Could air be leaking past the bearings causing a lean condition that would require me to close the choke to draw more fuel? Hence going through more fuel than I think I should?

If that is the case, would you have part numbers for bearings/seals?

frankr
          Participant

OK, first let me say that there were two 12hp motors for 1957, the “Standard” and “Deluxe”. Most obvious difference was the Standard has an integral gas tank, Deluxe has a remote gas tank. There are many other differences also. Give me a model number and I can post the parts list.

Back to the seals question, the Standard doesn’t even have any seals. It relies on the long cast-in bronze bushings to create enough seal–and does it quite well unless they are worn out. The Deluxe has a different exhaust housing, which necessitated adding a seal on the lower end of the crankshaft to keep water out of the crankcase (not to keep pressure in).

About that seal: As I said, it is to keep water out. The motor will run very well with a bad seal, which is a problem because water is getting in un-noticed, which will cause it to throw a rod. Worse, the 303804 seal was garbage and failed often. It is what trashed many a motor in the day.

Waiting for a model number.

huntleybill
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you Frank. GG9016A. Mine has the onboard fuel tank. By your explanation then, it would seem that a seal is not the cause of my problem. So, I guess I am back to my original question about what may be causing my problem. Thank you for copy of the manual. It will come in handy. Also, thank you for your advice.

frankr
              Participant

Surprise, 9016A is a 1954-55 12D11 Deluxe. The Deluxe became the Standard in later years when the remote tank came into being and became the new Deluxe. Confused yet?

Anyhoo, here ya go—-

12D11-Applications

Pg-35-Carburetor

Pg-36-Powerhead

Pg-37-Powerhead-Nomenclature

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by frankr.
                frankr
                Participant

More—-

Pg-38-Manifold-and-Bracket

Pg-39-Manifold-and-Bracket-Nomenclature

Pg-40-Magneto

Pg-41-Lower-Unit-Gearcase

frankr
                  Participant

Lastly—-

Pg-42-Trim-Group

Pg-43-Part-Number-Variations

bayham3261
                    Participant

Hi! I’d agree without pulling everything apart it sounds like a carb issue. definitely check for blockages in the low-speed passages. I’ve had similar issues with miss-adjusted floats. If the float isn’t performing correctly sometimes the bowl won’t fill up enough to allow the weak low speed suction to work properly. operating a half choke will increase the suction to pull fuel. I’d also check to make sure your needle packing… a complete go-thru of the carb before you start chasing other possibilities.

A little information is a dangerous thing!

huntleybill
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you Frank.

I will go back through the carb. I replaced the packing, but I did not replaced the float. I’m not sure I understand why the low speed needle may be clogged as it does not matter what speed, the motor is at (either high or low), the condition still occurs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.