Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 envinrude 35 HP big twin running rough

• This topic has 25 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by olcah.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    rvdriver
    Participant

My 1958 Evinrude 35 HP big twin has been running rough. It has a new coil, new plug wires, cleaned fuel filter, new carb kit with jets and float and fresh unleaded fuel with correct oil mixture and marine Sta-Bil additive. It was running great after recent new carb kit installed.

It is running rough on idle and it will not go to full throttle without sputtering and eventually quitting running. .

I’ve included pictures of the two plugs.

Tell me what you think my issue might be. Thanks for the great help this site provides.

Picture of the boat we built as well. She’s too beautiful not to grace the lake!

lindy46
      Participant

US Member

Did you replace only one coil? What about the points and condensers?

rvdriver
        Participant

Yes both coils, plugs, plug wires, points and condenser all replaced and new.

Thanks!

Steven

outbdnut2
          Participant

US Member

Have you checked compression?
            Dave

RICHARD A. WHITE
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Did you rest the timing and did you use the proper ignition timing tool or did you use feelers gauges?

Richard

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
              classicomctools@gmail.com

outbdnut2
              Participant

US Member

After reading your post again, since you had it running great at first, I’d first check your points adjustment again and if that doesn’t fix it, go back into the carb and look for any small fleck of dirt, and spray carb cleaner through all passages again with needle valves removed. With new gas lines, I’d be suspicious of small rubber fragments shaved loose when pushing gas lines onto mating nipples. This can happen downstream of the filter. That bit me twice this summer.
                Dave

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If you are using ethanol-blended unleaded your carburetor may be worth a look. You state that you put a new kit in your carburetor. Did that kit include a float? I know even the new OEM kits still have a cork float in them. They are a lighter color and are supposed to be coated with an ethanol resistant coating but I have not tested this. I only run ethanol-free gasoline in my outboards. If you did not replace the float and it still has the shellac coating, the ethanol will dissolve the coating and it will end up in the bottom of your carburetor’s float bowl in little gummy bits and block fuel flow. It takes a little time for this to happen, but if the carburetor is not run dry each time and the float is floating in fuel all the time, it will happen. Marine Sta-Bil has the ethanol additive in it too, but I’m not convinced that will save a shellac coated cork float from the effects of the ethanol. I’m not sure what the Sta-Bil does chemically, but it does not magically make the alcohol disappear.
                  -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

Until proven otherwise, I suspect it is ingesting water into a cylinder.

chris-p
                    Participant

I was thinking along the same lines as Frank.

However, first, start with the basics.

What is the compression, cold and dry?

Does the spark jump a 1/4″ gap on an adjustable inline spark tester?

Most Big Twins of your Vintage should fall in the 90 to 110 psi range. If so, and you have a bright blue spark that jumps a 1/4″ gap, I would look at your exhaust gasket, head gasket, etc… for water intrusion.

jerry-ahrens
                      Participant

US Member

Did you use a Sierra carb kit along with Sierra points? Both are terrible, and could cause your symptoms. i made the mistake of trying Sierra points a few yrs. ago, mainly because I can by them dirt cheap. I found them to be of terrible quality, and went right back to OEM. Same goes for the carb kit, that does not come with a new float from Sierra.
                        Is your motor running a single line hose with a fuel pump? If so, and if you are using an aftermarket fuel line and bulb from Wal mart, or whatever, that will eventually be an issue. The inner barrier liner in those aftermarket fuel line will eventually come loose and clog the line shut. I’ve had to replace a truck load of those things. The motor will start and run for a short distance, then slow down and eventually stall out. Just a few things you may want to consider. Hope this may be of help.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 26 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.