1958 envinrude 35 HP big twin running rough

Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 envinrude 35 HP big twin running rough

This topic contains 23 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  fleetwin 4 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• frankr
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 3790
    Topics: 42

J6 is the correct plug. IF, IF it is sucking water, my first go-to would be the exhaust cover plate on the side of the powerhead. They develop pin-holes through it. Carbon seals are sneaky, you usually don’t have any clue on those till it’s too late. You can access the cover by removing the lower cowling pans.

fleetwin
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 2426
    Topics: 27

I realize it is winter in most locations…But, is there anyway you can post a video of the engine running?

rvdriver

Replies: 29
    Topics: 6

Fleetwin: I tried to post a video but the site only allows 512 KB. I can’t even get 2 seconds of it to upload. I could send an email to you. I am in Texas and it’s 74 here today. I shot the video day before yesterday.

Thank you for your help!

Steven

fleetwin
    US Member - 1 Year

Steven
    Send the video to me at:
    dkellogg56@gmail.com
    Don

rvdriver

I sent the video this evening. Thank you!

fleetwin
    US Member - 1 Year

Got the short video….Couldn’t tell if the engine was running on only one cylinder, it was at dead idle….Just sounded very rich….Will forward the video to whoever else wants to watch/listen…D

rvdriver

Thanks for all the feedback thus far. We are attacking this all on Friday. The fuel tank is the double pressure original line. Installing new plugs and checking the points. We think it’s still running too rich.

Steven

rvdriver

My good friend Greg Schneider came over this past Sunday and we worked on the Evinrude.

We checked the plugs and did a spark test and found that was ok. Since we just rebuilt the carburetor and checked the fuel filter and the pressurized tank was recently overhauled, we turned our attention to the ignition.

We pulled the flywheel and checked the points and checked the gap. Upon further inspection, Greg noticed that one of the condenser mounting screws was very lose. We used blue locktite and put it all back together. I had purchased new plugs, but we installed the old ones to check them.

The engine fired right up and ran smooth. We took it out on the lake and it ran perfect after a few small mixture tweaks.

I have access to aviation fuel (I work at an airport and own an airplane), so I made up a tank and took her out for another test ride yesterday and she ran great.

Thanks for all the great help and advice!

NOTE: Any idea where I could obtain an owners manual for the 1958 Evinrude 35 HP Big Twin?

Best Regards,

Steven

fleetwin
    US Member - 1 Year

Great news Steve, I’m glad the solution was a simple one….Keep en eye on ebay for a 58 Bigtwin manual, I see them from time to time. Perhaps someone in AOMCI has one also, post an add in the classifieds…

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.