1958 Johnson 35HP Wiring harness advice needed please…

Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 Johnson 35HP Wiring harness advice needed please…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)

• huntleybill

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 328
    Topics: 136

I have a 1958 Johnson 35HP motor that I am restoring for someone. I have an issue with the remote wiring harness matching up with the harness on the motor. First off, the remote harness was purchased separately so this is NOT a situation where the harness worked before but not now.

The issue is that the choke solenoid will not engage (or activate ) when you press the remote choke button. When troubleshooting this, I found that the choke wire in the remote harness is set to a different pin location than the wiring harness on the motor. To put it differently, the remote wiring harness choke wire pin gets inserted into a dead pin on the motor harness. Of course the choke solenoid does not work. All other functions and wiring seem to work ok. This only affects the choke solenoid.

Both the plug and socket were made and the rubber was molded around the wiring clearly to seal everything up. The problem is that I can’t see how to “move” the choke wire to match up the correct
    pins on both the plug and the socket.

Not sure if I am explaining this clearly but is there a way to move these wires around or do I have to get a new harness? Or is there another approach?

Thank you for your time.
    Bill

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

The 1957 and 1958 35hp Harnesses were different. I believe you are attempting to use a 1957 wiring harness on a 1958 Motor. Counting the pins will verify this. You may be able to swap the internal harness to match?

Easiest thing to do would be to find matching external wiring harness.

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

A 1958 harness has two more pins than a 1957. So, a 1957 external harness won’t even plug into a 1958 motor (not enough holes). That is unless the internal harness is also changed.

However, a 1958 external harness will plug into a 1957 motor, but of course all the functions won’t work.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3588
    Topics: 326

cant you just resolder the motor side selenoid wire on the currently dead pin receiving the signal from the push button ?

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

Here are the two wireing diagrams I have – labeled 1957 –

– – – – and 1958 – 🙄

huntleybill

US Member - 2 Years

I have included a couple of pics. The harness plug together like they should. On the internal harness, the choke wire is on the bottom left. On the external harness, the wire is using the right pin. So….which harness do I have??

huntleybill

US Member - 2 Years

Come to think of it…This motor does have a generator on it. Would that make a difference in this case?

chris-p

Sorry, I was bass ackwards, but frank corrected me.

Regardless, you have a 1957 internal harness in there (5 pin), you should have a 7 pin internal motor side harness. Strange that someone changed that out?

huntleybill

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you Chris…I will look for a ’58 7 pin harness and just replace this one.
    Now….where to find a harness……….??

chris-p

I have boxes of wiring harnesses. Ill look for you. Short of that, post a wanted ad in the classifieds. Someone will be able to help.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.