Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 Johnson Motor Part ID

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Donald Koslosky
    Participant

That starter solenoid did not come with that engine now that I recall, it came with a ’56 Johnson, which would have been 6V. Great point. Sooooo, anyone have a part number for the correct solenoid?

bobw
      Participant

US Member

Solenoid would be an OMC 378444 or an Arco SW081 for about half the price.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

1 user thanked author for this post.
        fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

There’s a white wire coming from the external harness to the mercury switches also, I’m assuming that just goes to 12v constant power?

NO, please don’t connect that white lead to 12V positive…That lead provides a ground from the mercury switches to the negative post on the solenoid…That mercury switch prevents the engine from being started at too high of a throttle setting by opening the ground connection when the throttle is set up too high…
          The engine will start without any of this stuff being connected, it just won’t shut off and might over rev if the throttle is set up too high in neutral or you cut the throttle back quickly.
          I would check over the rest of the engine before getting too involved with this wiring. No sense going crazy finding a wiring harness if the engine has low compression, water in the gearcase, ignition and fuel system issues…

Donald Koslosky
          Participant

Thanks all. I did get a mechanic to check compression which he said is good. In turning it over a few times the engine is pulling fuel.

Will this starter solenoid work? https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004V3QBS2/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_gwR4Eb0V6A

57_35HPGen-1

57_35HPGen-2

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

you should go the URL in the picture below. that book will provide lots of technical info for you

you can print series pages to a PDF file on your computer then to paper for safekeeping

I post a picture of the URL (Internet location0 because this site will poof out my reply if it see the ugly word B…O…A…T I…..N…..F….O

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Donald Koslosky
              Participant

Got the book! Thanks so much!

Donald Koslosky
                Participant

All, thanks a million for your help, I downloaded the book and have been pouring through it. I only have 2 wires to go and I’m ready to hit the ‘start’ and ‘choke’ buttons and see what happens.

First, this black wire with no insulation on the connector that comes from the control cable to the head – it has an un-insualted knife connector, but I think it should have a cover over the knife connector and go to the S terminal on the starter solenoid.

Second, the white wire from the mercury switch goes to the starter solenoid ‘S’ terminal? The same terminal that comes from the start switch

Thanks again.(P.S. Don’t make fun of my bundle ties on the starter solenoid, I’m just trying to get the thing to run before I clean it all up! )

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, I am “assssuming that white lead goes into the plug connector on the side of the engine…I am also “guessing” that the mercury switch is disconnected probably because it is broken, so no ground was getting up the the solenoid….Someone probably just tapped into a ground from the junction box (that you don’t have) and connected it to the solenoid….
                    The engine will start and run without the mercury switch, BUT it will be able to crank with the throttle advanced all the way, and that could be dangerous. The engine might not shut off when the key switch is turned off also… It is hard for me to say without being there and seeing the actual wiring…
                    The engine might “run away” if revved up in neutral also, but you can always stop it by turning the choke on….

Donald Koslosky
                    Participant

Yes, the white goes to the side: Does it go to the ‘S’ or the ‘I’ on the starter solenoid? Same question for the black with the knife connector – does it go to the ‘S’ or ‘I’? I think it goes to the ‘i’, I’ve been reading and re-reading and re-reading the book, but it’s not clear. I hate to fry something on this engine, 1958 parts are hard to find!

There is no key switch, you kill these engines with the choke switch. I’m pretty sure it’s an RDS-21 engine.

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Are you sure you have the right starter solenoid? The correct solenoid probably won’t have any markings at all on the small posts…Because it doesn’t matter. One is positive, the other is negative, and it doesn’t matter which lead goes to which small terminal.
                        Your solenoid sounds like it is for automotive use, and is not the same…

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 32 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.