Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 Johnson Motor Part ID

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Donald Koslosky
    Participant

I’m sure I don’t have the right one, it’s not working. The choke activates but not the starter. I’ll go to O’reilly and see if they have the correct one. Then the mercury switch wire goes to the negative for sure, does the wire on the cutout switch also go to the negative?

It shows the magento going to the key switch, but I don’t have that. So I assume the magneto would get power with the key in the ‘on’ position, so it takes constant 12V? Or only to the + starter pole?

Donald Koslosky
      Participant

Soooo frustrating. I used to be smart, or thought I was until this. Anyway, so I have a starter solenoid, but it just won’t kick the starter. The question, without any safeties, how to I just get the starter to engage? The picture is how I have it wire now, but nothing it happening!

new-start-solenoid

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Why does it appear that you have an extra small red lead attached to the large starter post on the solenoid? What is the little black wire hiding in your hand? It looks as though you don’t have anything connected to one of the small solenoid terminals…These little terminals should have a ground on one side, and switched B+ on the other to power the magnet to connect the two large terminals so the starter has B+ to power up…
          No, the magneto does not get any B+ power from anything at anytime… I think you are confused because the key switch has a few separate circuits that are not connected in any way….
          There are the B+ terminals on the key switch that handle the starter and choke functions.
          Then there should be two “M” terminals that are totally independent…These are not really “ground” terminals, and should not be used for grounding any accessories. This engine is shut off by connecting both sets of points together which cancels spark on both cylinders….So, the two “M” terminals in the key switch are connected together when the key switch is turned off to short the two sets of points together and kill spark on both cylinders. Again, these terminals are totally independent from the other terminals on the key switch which handle B+ functions…

1 user thanked author for this post.
          labrador-guy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I gotta get in on this tread!

1 You have a magneto ignition and you DO NOT need 12volt to the ignition.
            2 Positive from battery goes to the big terminal on your selinoid.
            3 Cable from the starter motor goes on the other big terminal on the selinoid.
            4 Ground from battery goes to motor powerhead.
            5 You need a small wire going from positive battery terminal to your starter button.
            6 The second wire from your button goes to the small terminal on the selinoid.

As fleetwin says=.So, the two “M” terminals in the key switch are connected together when the key switch is turned off to short the two sets of points together and kill spark on both cylinders. Again, these terminals are totally independent from the other
            terminals on the key switch which handle B+ functions…

hope this helps
            dale

Donald Koslosky
            Participant

I am confused, I think because I don’t have a key switch, just a start switch. So, 2 things I had wrong. I had an insulator on the starter post still. And, my start switch wire to the starter solenoid was broken. So, now I have the starter turning the motor! Yea! It won’t run, but that’s another story. 🙂 Thank everyone for input, it is frustrating, but at least it’s trying to start. Now to figure out the fuel air mixture……

If you have facebook: https://www.facebook.com/don.koslosky.1/videos/10220969581482942/

Donald Koslosky
              Participant

Thanks Labradorguy: I have 1-6 done as you’ve said, that’s how I got it to crank. Since I don’t have a key switch, I’m still not sure what to do with the magneto wire that comes from the top of the engine. I think the consensus is that the mercury wire and the cutout switch go to the negative terminal on the starter solenoid.Where does the magneto wire go?

It would be soooo much easier if I could just find a mechanic in Texas to do this!

Donald Koslosky
                Participant

So the solenoid will only kick the starter if I have the wire to the magneto or the wire to the cutout attached to the negative. but not the wire to the mercury switch. Right now I just have the cutout attached, but it’s not cranking. I wonder if I need the magneto wire connected to something……………..I can smell fuel, and the water bucket I have it in sure has a lot of gunk in it from cranking. So it must be a spark problem – I do have new spark plugs gapped at .030 installed.

outbdnut2
                  Participant

US Member

You mentioned going to O’Reilly for the correct solenoid. They carry, or can get for you, an aftermarket one by Sierra Marine, but they may call it an O’Reilly. Same for NAPA auto parts. The part number at both places is 18-5807. Same number for Sierra online at marine places like iboats.com. The ones for Ford cars in the late 1950s, and most 1960s look the same but aren’t and you will fry some wires if you directly replace with one of those. Here’s a link to the Oreilly part:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/search?q=18-5807

Dave

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by outbdnut2.
                    outbdnut2
                    Participant

US Member

You mentioned you can crank it with jumpers, and it pulls fuel. You may have no spark. The factory ignition switch (if you had one) closes to disable the magneto when in the off position by creating a short. WIth no ignition switch, and no wires connected to that socket on the side, and no wires bypassing the socket to the magneto from outside the motor, the motor should start. With the big plug not connected to the side of the motor, it should start with the recoil starter rope too. If it hasn’t been run for decades, it may have the original magneto coils – if so, you can bet the insulation on the coils has deteriorated, cracked and you will have no spark. Wires to the magneto have nothing to do with cranking.
                      Dave

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, sounds like the time to check for spark….Please be very careful, sounds like you have plenty of fuel/vapors laying around in that motor pan….

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 32 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.