Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 Johnson Motor Part ID

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    outbdnut2
    Participant

US Member

I think the others covered it pretty well, but in case you are confused, I’ll try and restate the magneto connections a bit different. Since you don’t have an ignition on/off switch, tape off the end of any magneto wires you have and don’t connect them to anything; except, of course, the magneto wire already connected to the vacuum-sensing rev limiter. If you are sending 12 volts or ground on any wire to the magneto, you will not have spark.

If I remember right, the on/off key switch you don’t have shorts the two sets of points together to turn the motor off. It does this by switching the magneto wire you have to the other magneto wire that is connected to the rev limiter. Since one or the other set of points is always closed (connected to ground), this grounds out both coils to shut off the motor. The magneto needs NOTHING external connected to it to make spark.
      Dave

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Donald Koslosky
      Participant

Thanks all. Good point Dave. Just because the magneto wire went to the control cable, doesn’t mean it was used since I don’t have an off switch or key switch. I’ll pull the plug today and make sure I’m getting spark. i also have to figure out how to unstick whatever needle is causing the fuel to come out of the carb.

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.