Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 Johnson rds-20

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    john8504
    Participant

I picked up a boat with twin rds-20 motors on it. Boats in rough shape but I’m going to try and restore it. The motors are in just as rough a shape. Is there anything in particular I need to be careful of on these motors as I begin to attempt to get them running again?

john8504
      Participant

Also, does anyone happen to have any literature on this motor?

frankr
        Participant

US Member

First of the “Super Quiet” Series. One of the most beautiful Johnsons in my opinion. I had one that I bought new in 1958. Ran the daylights out of that thing, water skiing etc.

1958-Johnson-Super-Sea-Horse

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by frankr.
          lindy46
          Participant

US Member

Reliable and well built old motors. Check compression – should be 110psi+ on both cylinders and even. Check for spark – should jump a 5/16 inch gap on an open air tester. Most likely the coils will need replacing. Check gear lube and look for water intrusion. Plan on replacing the water pump impellers.

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

this site …see URL on top….. will give you tons of service info ..

posting a picture otherwise this site will poof it away for still unclear reasons

click on the book stack …. then click on johnson ….. then click on red book

print your needed info info to PDF file and off line printing

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

jeff-register
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Frank,
                Still have my 58 J. 18 E start & runs well after crank & gearcase seals.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.