Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 Johnson Super Seahorse 35 Wiring Harness

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    fisherman6
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I recently purchased a fairly decent looking 1958 Johnson Super Seahorse. I got the wiring harness that is supposed to go with it but the harness doesn’t plug in because the motor side has two extra pins in the corners that the harness does not have receptacles for. Obviously this particular harness was never used with this motor. I dont know if I am going to be able to modify and use it or if I need to keep looking and find a harness that actually fits properly. I can get pictures of the harness and motor sides tonight, but I’m wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me. Thanks in advance to everyone. In the mean time here is the motor side from a pic I had on my phone.
      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

You have a 1957 wiring harness for your 1958 motor. The `57 had no ignition switch and you stopped the motor by pushing the choke button. . . 🙂

Rewiring it to make it work is complicated if you have a generator installed.

fisherman6
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you Garry. I figured it was off by a year or something. I suppose I could still use it and just have to push the key switch in to stop the engine. I’d just have to relieve the space in the harness plug for the kill switch pins and choke to stop like the older motor. The 1960 Lark that is on my boat now someone removed the motor side of the connection and wired directly to the motor, which I don’t like.

Neither my ’60 Lark nor my ’58 Super Seahorse have the generator installed.
          -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

wbeaton
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I prefer to use the 1958 and newer harnesses. That way I can have a generator and a kill switch. I still prefer to use push buttons over a key.

Wayne
            Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

amuller
            Participant

Maybe I’m hijacking this a little, but I have a ’64 40 hp I’d like to use this spring. It has no connector but rather a (ragged) harness with ring terminals for a junction box (I presume). Can anyone suggest options here? What types/years of junction boxes can be made to work with this motor? I am fairly ept at electrical stuff and could make one up, but experience says this would eat up a bunch of time. So I’d like to find the electrical box, boat-side harness, and shift/throttle setup. What years/models would work or be reasonably adaptable?

Thanks for any guidance.

frankr
              Participant

US Member

Manual shift or electric shift?

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johns … x+Assembly

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johns … nction+Box

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

Here is the 1964 Wiring diagram. . . 😉

outbdnut2
                  Participant

US Member

If you build a solenoid junction box yourself, beware that the solenoid looks like a Ford part from the 1960s but internally, the terminals are wired different – you can use the Ford solenoid, but you have to know the differences and wire accordingly or you will fry a wire in the motor.
                    Dave

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

Specifically, the safety switch & wire. Also, even if you do successfully adapt the Ford solenoid, you will lose the function of the safety switch.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.