1958 Oliver 16 hp Electric

Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 Oliver 16 hp Electric

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• jerry-ahrens

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 986
    Topics: 40

I started tearing in to my winter project motor, a 1958 Oliver 16 with factory electric start. Kind of a neat motor and something different. There basically a Chris Craft Commander that was ”modernized” by Oliver I’m curious if anyone else out there has an Oliver like this one? I did find a nasty surprise after pulling the cylinder head. 😮 On the look out for a replacement block now. Here are a couple of cell phone pics..

Attachments:

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

Great Project! Love to see something different on the boards. Pretty rare birds up here, don’t ever see them, hopefully they share a powerhead with another brand. Too bad on the block.

jw-in-dixie

Replies: 371
    Topics: 23

Are those Bendix coils?

jerry-ahrens

Yes they are Bendix. They are the first white ones I’ve seen, as opposed to black. The bad part of getting these Bendix equipped motors to run is the cost of the coils. After that, and the price of the impeller, the cost goes up quickly! I’ve never tried to coat/seal up a Bendix coil before, but wonder if it would be possible? I’ll bet they would leak internally to the laminates though. Anybody ever tried it?

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

My thoughts are that by this point, the damage is done. Perhaps if they were coated many moons ago they could have been saved, but at this point they are garbage. I am yet to run into a coil that I find has been coated and cracked that is any good, just my 2 cents.

jeff-register

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1564
    Topics: 54

Jerry,
    Most do not believe in using super corona dope. If you have primary resistance look it up,
    Jeff

jerry-ahrens

Interesting idea, thanks for sharing. I did look it up, never heard of this stuff. I wonder how thick of a coating would be required? Should a guy peel off the loose stuff, then coat the coil, or maybe dip it ?
    I do have a Chris Craft Challenger that has Bendix coils in it, both were cracked pretty badly. Just for the heck of it, I tested them both on the Stevens machine, expecting them to fail the leakage test.. much to my suprise, they passed the primary and secondary resistance tests, coil power test, and the leakage test ! At the time I grabbed a tube of 3M 5200 and coated them up good, left them dry then put them back in. The motor ran great ! Since then the Bendix coils i’ve ran into are crumbling and falling apart, so I just replaced them. Problem is, they are expensive. It would be nice to be able to reseal the insulation and reuse them, providing the windings are good. I’ve seen it done to OMC universal coils using fiberglass resin, and it worked well. How long will it last? Who Knows..

westwind

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 374
    Topics: 10

I have an Oliver 15 electric. Oliver fixation had good prices on parts including impellers. Might have a block for you too.

jerry-ahrens

After speaking with Dan at Oliverfixation, I have a replacement block on the way, along with a couple new coils. I’ll experiment with the old ones to see if they can be resealed and saved, but I’m doubtful. I spent a little time today and cleaned up the cowling and control panel with Flitz compound. The original paint comes back pretty nice for a 60 year old finish. Also installed a NOS ”Oliver 16 horsepower ” emblem on the front. I think I’ll clean this motor up and leave it original after the mechanicals are done. More pics to come…

Attachments:

brian-grigsby

Replies: 77
    Topics: 26

Wow! Looks nice Jerry. Never seen one of those before.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.