Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 Single Line Gas Tank

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ratrodz
    Participant

There is a single line, no pressure gas tank on ebay… it has the 1958 Johnson logo. What is this for… were there any 1958 motors with fuel pumps? Dealer option??

Bob

chris-p
      Participant

Yup, the 1958 Johnson Super Sea Horse 35hp is an example.

frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

AND the 1958 V-4 50hp models. AND a fuel pump kit was available for the 10/18/35 models.

Steve D
          Participant
            dan-in-tn
            Participant

Didnt Gale also have a single line tank with the 5hp engine in ’58? I think I have one or two of those.

Dan in TN

jon-a
              Participant

Gale had single line tanks in 58 and dating back to 55 or 56

I’m pretty sure the gimmick was that Gale would offer "something less" than Johnson / Evinrude did- so they offered 5 / 12-15 / 22 or 25 horse when OMC was offering 5 1/2 / 15-18 / 25-30 horse. so the "less" horsepower that Gale offered in those early years was coupled with a fuel pump to sweeten the deal.

By later years like 58-9, Gale offered the same horsepower on the Big Twin platform but without the "super quiet" housing- so that was "the less".

But regarding fuel pumps I think by 1956 Gale was definitely offering them with special 4 gallon tanks for the 5 horse models- hard to find these days. Maybe by 1955 Gale had fuel pumps too. I’m not a Gale expert- just trying to remember the ones I’ve seen here and there

frankr
                Participant

My memory doesn’t include a 4 gallon Gale tank. I’ll have to look into that. But it would have been easy enough, since the Gale tank was the same shell as the J/E pressure tank, but with a different top and hose. So no reason that Gale top couldn’t have been put on a 4 gallon J/E shell.

dan-in-tn
                  Participant

Frank, I have two of the Gale tanks. I’m not sure of the size either, but they are a different setup on top as far as the pickup/housing for the hose hookup. There is no quick disconnect and the cap is different. The housing that mounts in the top of the tank reminds one of the double hose housing, but only has the single hose barb. The housing incorporates the handle. As I remember there is no place to wind the hose. Both tanks are upstairs so I havent looked at them recently. Just going by memory. I have two of the Gale 5hp motors that take those tanks. Got one tank from Bob Grubb.

Dan in TN

frankr
                    Participant

Yes, I well remember the Gale tanks. What I don’t remember is a 4 gallon one, but not saying they don’t exist. However, the 6 gallon tank first appeared on the 1955 22hp which was a small-bore J/E 25hp. In 1956, the 12hp Deluxe models also got the pump & tank, while it could be added to the 5hp as an accessory. If there was a 4 gallon tank, that probably was where it was.

al-lockhart
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Yep the 4 gallon tanks do exist, Richard Paquette was lucky enough to score an original one with a 59 5hp Viking he picked up in Peterborough Ont. last fall. He has also created one by using a 4 gal pressure tank and putting the Gale bits on it from a scrap tanks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.