Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 Sportwin 10

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    benji41
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

What bolts and nuts and how to remove so the swivel bracket/handle can be removed for replacement. I have a diagram but do not know how to get to the bolts needed to be removed. Is there a certain order they need to come out and is there something needed to be done to motor so I can get to the bolts.

IMG_0485

IMG_0486

Jim Benjamin

• This topic was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Mumbles.
      bobw
      Participant

You’ll need to remove the powerhead and the exhaust housing/mid-section. Once the exhaust is off you remove the upper motor mount which then allows access to the 4 bolts that attach the swivel bracket. These pics will show what you will end up with during the dismantle.

05-Upper-Motor-Mount

04-Steering-Handle

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

frankr
        Participant

Actually, you do not have to remove the powerhead or lower unit. Remove the vertical throttle shaft and fuel hoses.
          Remove the lower mount clamshells, and the nuts from the upper side mounts. Loosen the nut on the upper front mount a few turns. Grab the lower unit and tilt to the rear and lift the whole motor out of the steering bracket.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, I think that is what Bob meant to say, just kind of sounded like he was saying the powerhead had to be removed from the exhaust hsg, but he said remove the powerhead and exhaust hsg….

In any event, in order to separate the powerhead/exhaust leg from the transom brk/swivel housing, you must separate the five mounts. There are two lower engine mounts, and three up top. The lower mounts are behind the “clamshell” halves located at the bottom of the swivel hsg/tube. One of the upper mounts is hidden behind the steering handle underneath the forward motor pan. You may want to remove the stop switch and bracket for easier access to the mount. Please beware, the mounts oftentimes break/separate when you attempt to remove the retaining nuts.

Like Frank says, you will need to remove the vertical throttle shaft and disconnect the fuel/air lines before separating the powerhead/lower unit from the transom bracket/swivel housing….

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by fleetwin.
            bobw
            Participant

Correct. I didn’t mean to imply you had to remove the powerhead separately from the exhaust housing (guess it might sound that way though). You can pull the whole thing off as one assembly. I just happened to have some pics from when I reassembled my ’58 Johnson 10hp – I was trying to show James the 4 bolts that hold the steering bracket.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
              1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
              1958 Johnson QD-19
              1958 Johnson FD-12
              1959 Johnson QD-20

Mumbles
              Participant

Before you do anything you are going to have to remove the two lower pan pieces. The carb will also have to come off to get at the nut (#6) on the top mount and to make it easier to get at the screw (#20) securing the front pan. After the pans are removed, you are off and away to the races!

1958-Sportwin-Pan

Here’s the nuts n bolts needing to be removed to get the complete powerhead and lower unit off in one piece.

1958-Sportwin-Mid

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Mumbles.
                benji41
                Participant

Thank all of you so very much thanks again
                  Jim B

IMG_0487

Jim Benjamin

bobw
                  Participant

Just like that!

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                    1958 Johnson QD-19
                    1958 Johnson FD-12
                    1959 Johnson QD-20

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Cool, glad it came apart easily…

bobw
                      Participant

James – while you’ve got it torn apart, you might want to knock the steering shaft out of the swivel bracket and clean up all the old grease. The old grease can tend to harden and dry up over the years if not maintained. Here’s what the shaft on my ’58 Johnson looked like when I tore it down. Clean the shaft and swivel bracket up real good, apply some fresh grease and reinstall. It’s kind of a snug fit to knock the shaft out – watch out on the last few blows because when it pops out, it can fly a long ways across the shop!

Teardown-Steering-Shaft

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                        1958 Johnson QD-19
                        1958 Johnson FD-12
                        1959 Johnson QD-20

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by bobw.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.