Home Forum Ask A Member 1959-63 QD’s Opinions?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    20mercman
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I am looking for feedback on the last version of the QD motor series. What do you folks think about this vintage 10 horse motor? We recently picked one up a 1960, and have a line on a 1959 for a very reasonable price. My collection is mostly Mercury motors, but I do have about 14 OMC motors of various vintages, plus some Scott Atwater products, so I am open to other brands. What should I be looking for, and are they still reasonably marketable fishing motors.

Steve

lindy46
      Participant

The later versions had a lighter weight gearcase than the earlier versions. In fact it was about the same as the gearcases used on the 5.5-7.5hp motors. IMO, it was not sufficient for the more powerful 10hp powerhead. Parts didn’t hold up as well, especially if water got into the gearcase. I just refurbished a 1962 model and had to replace all the gears, clutch dog, driveshaft and the lower unit case because the bushing where the driveshaft passes through to the pinion was severely scored. Good parts are getting hard to find and are expensive if you can find them.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The smaller gearcase is definitely an issue, and good driveshafts are definitely scarce. Later model 1960 versions picked up the larger wrist pins and wrist pin bearings though…So, you definitely want to check for wrist pin slop on the 56-60 models.
          So, I guess I would sum up the issues this way:
          55-57 models had the more robust larger gearcase, but also suffered from premature wrist pin wear.
          58- mid 60s models had the delicate smaller gearcase and the small wrist pins
          later 60s -63 models had heavier wrist pins/bearings along with thermostatically controlled cooling systems, but these engines used the delicate small gearcase
          One further note. Older powerheads with the small wrist pins can be updated by changing the pistons/wrist pins/bearings.
          The small/large gearcases can not be interchanged though, the midsections are completely different.
          Regardless of these serious flaws, I love the way these engines run and the amount of power they develop. So, I would surely purchase those engines for the right price after doing some basic investigation….Check for wrist pin slop, then drain the gearcases….
          Unfortunately, you may have to combine the best parts of both engines to get one good daily runner. Again, good new/used driveshafts for the small gearcase models are tough to find.

phil-b
          Participant

A mid-1960 modification strengthened the lower unit:
            The drive shaft and pinion are splined (instead of keyed), and I think the gears are heavier (fewer teeth).

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years
              quote Phil B:

A mid-1960 modification strengthened the lower unit:
              The drive shaft and pinion are splined (instead of keyed), and I think the gears are heavier (fewer teeth).

You are correct indeed….But, no matter how many updates or improvements were made, the lower driveshaft pinion bushing and its mating surface on the driveshaft continued to be an issue, especially if water made its way into the gearcase.
              It’s ironic to know these same gearcases were used on the 9.5hp models, too bad the driveshafts are shorter! All the issues we have talked about don’t seem to affect the 9.5s much, so I’m thinking the 10hp models surely had much more power than the 9.5s. Yeah, I know, this is not a new revelation, just me thinking out loud…

frankr
              Participant

In spite of all the probably justified bad press on the gearcase, the 1961-63 10hp is one of my favorite portable motors. It has the improved wrist pins. The 1958-up has the isolated drive shaft–a big plus, especially if used in salt water. If it isn’t abused, the gearcases hold up pretty well. But lack of maintenance is a killer—failure to change the gear oil and/or water in the oil. Evinrudes are better than Johnsons because they have tighter-fitting hoods. Looks are a matter of opinion.

Mumbles
                Participant

With regular maintenance, any QD or Sportwin should last a long time. The rods can be re-bushed if worn or simply replaced along with the matching pistons from a ’61 – ’63 model.

Attachments:

fisherman6
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Everyone has pointed out all the ‘issues’ with these motors in the previous posts. That said, I too am still very fond of these motors. It is imperative that the gearcase be maintained on these and water is a killer for them. As long as you find one in good shape and keep it that way, it will serve you well. I have a 59 Evinrude Sportwin, and 59 & 61 QDs. They are all excellent runners and function beautifully. I also have a second 59 Evinrude Sportwin in the queue for mechanical rehab. Not sure of the condition of that one internally yet, but here’s hoping it’s good. These engines are quite powerful and very reliable and they will idle like nobody’s business. If they are in good condition and reasonably priced, I’d definitely go for them. I love the way the 10hp OMC engines run.
                    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

chris-p
                    Participant

I like the look of the ’58 the best, so I rebuild the powerheads on the 1958 with the 1963 internals, You can re use the crank, but you must change the rest.

I hear a lot about the weak gearcase, but I run the snot out of my ’58, and have owned a gazillion small gearcase QDS without issue. As stated, you cannot expect to fill the gearcase with water, and have it hold up, no matter what gearcase it has. Its the cheapskates that constantly run a motor with faulty seals that are to blame in my opinion. Take care of them, and don’t worry about it.

They are a bit faster than the ’57 and down QDs as well, since the gearcase is more streamlined, and total weight is decreased overall. Especially after using the needle bearing internals.

chris-p
                      Participant

I fitted 1963 internals to a 1957 QD last summer as well. Ran fantastic!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.